I got this in the mail about photovoltaic systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Complete with a letter, I received this card to sign and mail in to the Massachusetts governor.

0430092311.jpg

What do you guys think? Sorry for the blurry parts, hopefully you can deduce the text from the context. If necessary I will type the text for you tomorrow at some point.

Solar photovoltaic, that is...

Last edited:

cpal

The Board of State Examiners put a letter out Jan 30,09 stating that any PV sys and its assoc aparatus falls under the umbrella of Ch 141 and must be installed by a MA licensed Electrician. It appears that this group advocates that decision. The PV group mentioned made a statement at the hearing that their installers (non licensed) have better qualifications to make these installations.

Keep in mind that my response is my opinion, base on my understanding of the proceedings.

SEO

I think all work in any field that requires a license shall be installed by licensed people. If licensing is not enforced that opens up Pandora's Box. Who's to say that we won't have Chinese or other foreign installers doing our work. The ramifications could be devistating.

Dnkldorf

What would licensing do?
According to his letter, he attempts to sway the reader to believe that no severe threats or dangers exist when licensed electricians do the work.

That's just so wrong.

jotw

We need Texas Dept. of Licensing and Regulation to do the same thing in requiring all installers be licensed electricians. All of the solar companies here in Austin have a Master Electrician on staff, but, many of the installers are not licensed electricians or electricians at all. The problem that I see is that many licensed electricians do not have the proper training in installing solar. There is a lot that goes into a proper installation. You can't just put panels on a roof and call it good. But then, these jobs are designed prior to installation anyway. ???

iwire

Staff member
I was on a work road trip and when I got back my letter was waiting for me.

PVLetter1.jpg

Here is the return card
PVLetter2.jpg

Of course I support the continued licensing requirement but both 'sides' need to realize that neither side is qualified to do this work without further training.

There is a lot more to designing and installing PV systems then just the NEC and the wiring.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
What would licensing do?
According to his letter, he attempts to sway the reader to believe that no severe threats or dangers exist when licensed electricians do the work.

That's just so wrong.

Are you trolling or are you serious?

Me thinks you really do not know about PV systems and the electrical dangers they can bring to someones home. :roll:

Buck Parrish

I got some thing from a solar company wanting me to be a local distributor/installer. The only thing is I have to buy a display model.
The letter did not include the price. OUCHHH!

I say we need all the work we can get.

So be it , if we need to take a course to become certified in solar panels. I would do it.

iwire

Staff member
I say we need all the work we can get.

I agree, and have been involved in PV systems for about a year.

So be it , if we need to take a course to become certified in solar panels. I would do it.

Exactly. :cool:

My point was that any EC that wants to jump into this field should realize they need some specific training if they expect to be able to do a professional installation.

In my mind one of the big problems is that the equipment, like inverters, combiner boxes, panels etc are being designed by companies that have never made equipment for installations by electricians. We need NEMA companies making this equipment.

For instance one inverter maker sells inverters with controls on the front and both sides, they do not understand that makes compliance with 110.26 virtually imposable. :mad:

Davis9

I'm feeling left out, I didn't get mine yet.:roll:

Just like anything else, education is needed.

What if every company that specialized in something started lobbying for the same thing. If one gets it then others will soon follow.

If the PV co's are serious then they can HIRE a Licensed Electrician to be on staff and train him/her.

Tom

iwire

Staff member
If the PV co's are serious then they can HIRE a Licensed Electrician to be on staff and train him/her.

There already are ...... kind of.

They hire an electrician that will pull the permit and handle the inspections but have anyone doing the actual work.:mad:

peter d

OK, I'll be cynical here. Of course I believe that electrical work should be done by qualified people. But when the gov't starts getting their paws into things it just smacks of fee collecting than actual concern for safety. :mad:

Dnkldorf

Are you trolling or are you serious?

Me thinks you really do not know about PV systems and the electrical dangers they can bring to someones home. :roll:

Serious.

You think right, I am not well versed on these systems.

Probably the same as most licensed contractors....which is my point.

If such serious conditions exist with these systems, why not require the manufacturer to provide a manufacturers qualified list of EC's who could install them, After approved training from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer would back the installation for warranty reasons. Any system not installed by manufacturers trained EC, would void all warranties.

Then I would jump on board to get factory training and create a new niche for myself.

Just requiring someone to have a license, would do diddly.

IMOWM

Last edited:
Another issue with Photovoltaic installations is the rapid changes occuring within that field. The technology and the code are evolving very quickly.
One issue that creates is installation considerations. Some jurisdictions may still be following the '02 NEC, or possibly earlier version. Lots has changed in the industry since then and the codes have changed as well.
Manufacturers and PV companies are in the current code cycle...which may create some issues.
What is one to do?

For instance: The current NEC permits the DC wiring to be installed within a building and the '02 and prior do not...

I just heard this past week of some new technology where the Inverters are installed on the roof. How does that work for accessibility, if the roof is not accessible?

These are the type of questions that will pop up as long as technology is moving faster than the code does.

OH YEAH... this leads back to the proper training that is absolutely necessary. Even for inspectors. ;)

iwire

Staff member
OK, I'll be cynical here. Of course I believe that electrical work should be done by qualified people. But when the gov't starts getting their paws into things it just smacks of fee collecting than actual concern for safety. :mad:

Pete, that makes no sense in this case, they are not asking for any new law. All the letter is asking is the continued enforcement of the long existing laws here in MA.

There are many thousands of electricians in MA that have worked very hard, put money out for classes, attended classes to get their license. To me it would be a crime for the state to let a certain group of people bypass all that. :mad:

And having some first hand experience with a guy that had been working for a PV company for a few years I can tell you first hand that their wiring is dangerous and their knowledge of the code is spotty at best.

Davis9

There already are ...... kind of.

They hire an electrician that will pull the permit and handle the inspections but have anyone doing the actual work.:mad:

Well, then there needs to be enforcement of the current laws concerning installation of the Electrical portion, not changing the existing laws. 1 LIC--1 Helper on site.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.