What went on in this GFCI receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Lightning is a frequent killer of GFCIs, I am not saying I know that is what killed this one just throwing it out there as one possibility.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Can you turn it over?
From this side I would guess a loose connection lead to overheating of at least the terminal. Can't tell from this view if other components were involved.

Based on your picture and limited knowledge of electronics, it looks like there was some considerable heat on the line side. Also, you mentioned it was there for 14 years... the terminal may have loosened up.

How active is the use of this GFCI?

tonype

Based on your picture and limited knowledge of electronics, it looks like there was some considerable heat on the line side. Also, you mentioned it was there for 14 years... the terminal may have loosened up.

How active is the use of this GFCI?

The recept. is used several times a day (mainly blow dryer). Periodically tested (though with no set time).

Backside of the guts looked ok, other than lint and other dust type debris.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree that the top right wire terminal looks like a "glowing connection" failure most commonly caused by looseness.

The heat may, or may not, have taken out the electronics. ~14 years of energized service and electronic failure for no apparent reason is actually not uncommon.

480sparky

my experience on older homes is that conductors that are stabbed or pressure plated loosening is the biggest cause of failure either at the device or down the line.

What's the difference between tightening down a screw around a wire and tightening down a pressure plate on a wire?

probably not much, I just think it's a better connection. Haven't you ever pulled out an old device only to have the wire pop out of the back? I think wrapping, although takes a few seconds more, is better wiring practices.

480sparky

probably not much, I just think it's a better connection. Haven't you ever pulled out an old device only to have the wire pop out of the back? I think wrapping, although takes a few seconds more, is better wiring practices.

Without hijacking this thread into the old backstab v. wrap-the-terminal debate, I'd say if the device has pressure plates, they would be far superior to backstabbing. Some devices I've installed have pressure plates only so you can't wrap the wire. And I've never had a pressure plate 'let go'.

If you're relying on the hook of a wire when wrapping them, you're not tightening the screw down enough.

true. only pressure plated connections are possible on 12 wire, but only Tony knows if this gfi was on a 20A circuit or a 15A circuit. 14 years ago, bath gfi's were not required to be on a 20A circuit.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
The recept. is used several times a day (mainly blow dryer). Periodically tested (though with no set time).

Backside of the guts looked ok, other than lint and other dust type debris.

I have a question about loading of individual recepticals. Especially a GFCI when they get heavy usage such as a blow dryer. I believe I have read that newer code requires a 20 A circuit in a bathroom. I imagine this is in due partly to these heavy loads we use in bathrooms now?

My wife just bought a new hair dryer. I was surprised to read the box stating
it was 1875 WATTS. My home does not have 20 A circuits in the bathroom.
Doesn't this seem a bit much for a single load on a single receptical?

I am not necessarily asking about doing the math, code references or breaker ratings/ trip curves etc, just in a practical sense? After having taken apart a few GFCIs I am not so sure I am comforable with that great of a load them, at least not 15A rated devices?

480sparky

I have a question about loading of individual recepticals. Especially a GFCI when they get heavy usage such as a blow dryer. I believe I have read that newer code requires a 20 A circuit in a bathroom. I imagine this is in due partly to these heavy loads we use in bathrooms now?

My wife just bought a new hair dryer. I was surprised to read the box stating
it was 1875 WATTS. My home does not have 20 A circuits in the bathroom.
Doesn't this seem a bit much for a single load on a single receptical?

I am not necessarily asking about doing the math, code references or breaker ratings/ trip curves etc, just in a practical sense? After having taken apart a few GFCIs I am not so sure I am comforable with that great of a load them, at least not 15A rated devices?

Whether or not you have a dedicated 20a bath circuit, the receps in the bath must still be GFId.

If you're concerned about your wiring, install a 20a bath circuit and use a GFI breaker and a commercial-grade receptacle.

FWIW, GFIs in the bathroom were first required in 1975. The 20a bath circuit first apears in 1996.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.