Annoyed by code violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volta

It's been a code requirement for as long as I can remember. Do you know when it first appeared?

If we mean truly separate circuits, it is not that long ago. It first appeared in 2002.
210.7(C) When more than one branch circuit supplies more than one receptacle on the same yoke, a means to simultaneously disconnect the ungrounded conductors supplying those receptacles shall be provided at the panelboard where the branch circuits originated.

If we talk about one multi-wire branch circuit, is goes back to 1981.
210.4 . . . In dwelling units a multiwire branch circuit supplying more than one receptacle on the same yoke shall be provided with a means to disconnect simultaneously all ungrounded conductors at the panelboard where the branch circuit orignated.

In 2005 they took out the reference to dwelling units.

Edit: I think I missed a page . . . looks like it's covered.

Last edited:
As others have said, the reason they put the 2 circuits on one yoke is because of having 2 pieces of equipment there that draw too many amps when plug in on the same circuit. This also keeps them from having to cut in /install another box for the other receptacle. This is exisiting work (receptacle)/remodel and it was just easier to just pull another wire in the conduit there.

It just annoys me when theyve been told the code and they still dont do it right and its not hard to do at all.

vinster888

you know i always treated that one as a reason for the manufacturers could sell more product. what was once easily 2 single pole breakers next to each had to turn into a costlier common trip with handle tie device.

e57

As others have said, the reason they put the 2 circuits on one yoke is because of having 2 pieces of equipment there that draw too many amps when plug in on the same circuit. This also keeps them from having to cut in /install another box for the other receptacle. This is exisiting work (receptacle)/remodel and it was just easier to just pull another wire in the conduit there.

It just annoys me when theyve been told the code and they still dont do it right and its not hard to do at all.
I'll blame assembelly line style construction - where someone pulls wire, someone else trims the panel, yet someone else completely trims the outlet. Too many cooks in the kitchen - blame the Foremen, and Super.... ;)

220/221

I always expect to see a two pole breaker feeding a Dish Washer and Disposal

It's interesting how different things are in different regions. One 20A citcuit fow DW/disp is the norm here and has been since I've been around. To me, it seems silly to require a dedicated 20A for a disposal that draws a couple amps.

480sparky

It's interesting how different things are in different regions. One 20A citcuit fow DW/disp is the norm here and has been since I've been around. To me, it seems silly to require a dedicated 20A for a disposal that draws a couple amps.

Some for me. One 20a for the Dish/Disp circuit.

FWIW, I run the 12/2 to the switch, then a 12/2 to the dishwasher and a 12/3 to the disposal. I split the duplex under the sink for half-hot. That way, the instant water heater the owners never tell me about can be plugged in. The cost of a few feet of 12/3 is very cheap insurance.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You dont need a handle tie if you have 2 seperate circuits running to a device unless you are sharing the neutral..right?
No, having separate neutrals allows you to ignore whether the two circuits are supplied from the same phase.

However, since the handle-tie requirement will assure opposite phases, you may as well use a shared neutral.

benaround

Some for me. One 20a for the Dish/Disp circuit.

FWIW, I run the 12/2 to the switch, then a 12/2 to the dishwasher and a 12/3 to the disposal. I split the duplex under the sink for half-hot. That way, the instant water heater the owners never tell me about can be plugged in. The cost of a few feet of 12/3 is very cheap insurance.

How many watts do those instant water heaters draw ?

480sparky

most of the little POU heaters i have seen take a 120v 30a circuit themselves

Every one I've ever seen just plugs into a 15a recep. Never seen one specify any more than that.

Maybe we're talking two different things. I'm referring to instant-hot systems with it's own dispensor (faucet) up at the sink, not a small 1-gallon tank under the sink.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Maybe we're talking two different things.
I suspect you are.

The one you describe, 480, is what I call the cup-a-soup or cup-a-tea variety. These provide quite hot water.

Vinster's POU heater is more in the fill-your-sink range with warm water for dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.