Fluorescent Lamp Replacement =? Energized Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming that it is a 4' tube, so is that.....:D:D:D:D:D
Not sure about that. What is the open circuit voltage? If it is 750 or over the restricted approach distance is 2'2"....won't work with a 4' tube, but you should be ok with an 8' one.:grin:

cornbread

Your typical 40 W 48" tube is supposed to run at 0.43A., start at 400 - 650 V and have about a 93V working voltage.

Ive seen where guys that were putting in flourescent tubes would touch the 'end' of the 2 prongs trying to line them up when rotating them in the fixture and get shock. Its good to turn off the light when possible even if its just changing a bulb. Sometimes they get stuck and you can 'break' them trying to get them out.

btharmy

As long as the fixture is properly grounded, when one prong touches the fixture housing, the lamp may, most likely will, be damaged, the fixture will sustain a small burn mark but I don't see that there is any real risk of shock when changing lamps. Of course it goes without saying if you just turn off the light, such problems can be avoided.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As long as the fixture is properly grounded, when one prong touches the fixture housing, the lamp may, most likely will, be damaged, the fixture will sustain a small burn mark but I don't see that there is any real risk of shock when changing lamps. Of course it goes without saying if you just turn off the light, such problems can be avoided.
If one pin makes contact with a socket contact, the electricity can flow through the filament, out the other pin, and zap the installer.

I've changed hundreds of tubes while energized (them, not me) and I've never gotten a shocked. I keep my fingers away from the tube ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.