Thread: Minimum burial depth for PVC

Minimum burial depth for PVC

What is the minimum burry depth for PVC conduit burried undergroud? I have seen a specification of 30" for a ductbank however this particular conduit will not be in a ductbank. Shoud there be at least 24" from grade to the PVC?

It can range from 0" under a slab to 30" depending on the circuit. You need to check 300.5
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

In the 2008 NEC, 352.10(G) (PVC Conduit section) refers you back to Table 300.5 (minimum cover requirements, 600V and less). The burial depth of the pipe will depend on what's above it. Table 300.5 Column 3 should give you the answer for PVC.
    We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Quote Originally Posted by ericsherman37 View Post
    In the 2008 NEC, 352.10(G) (PVC Conduit section) refers you back to Table 300.5 (minimum cover requirements, 600V and less). The burial depth of the pipe will depend on what's above it. Table 300.5 Column 3 should give you the answer for PVC.
    The area I will be burying the conduit is on a grassy area beside a parking lot. Because I do not see anything covering a "field" or "grassy area" I believe that I should use the first row in this table for "all locations no specified below" and therefore burry it at least 18" deep

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseShift View Post
    The area I will be burying the conduit is on a grassy area beside a parking lot. Because I do not see anything covering a "field" or "grassy area" I believe that I should use the first row in this table for "all locations no specified below" and therefore burry it at least 18" deep

That is correct.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

field ?
    don't do like one fellow did me. That 18" is from the top of the dirt, not the top of the field grass
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseShift View Post
    ...and therefore burry it at least 18" deep
    A minor detail. It's 18" of cover, not 18" deep trench (I know you didn't say this).
    Lou (wannabe economist)

If you relentlessly pursue perfection, you will eventually catch excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
    A minor detail. It's 18" of cover, not 18" deep trench (I know you didn't say this).
    Pool panel feeder, I go 20 inches to the top so there are no questions during inspection. Although getting a trench 2 inches deeper here is cake.

Chris it's easy for you, you have Al.

Quote Originally Posted by SEO View Post
    Chris it's easy for you, you have Al.
    Al is just about starting to catch up with Iwire's presents on this forum.
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.