Dedicated Space Above Panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

Hello everyone,

I have situation where we are installing a distribution panelboard (18-inch deep) on the wall in existing mechanical room. The existing condition has a 3-inch sprinkler line (with no sprinklers) running above it approximately 3-ft above the panel and 1ft of the wall. My understanding this is a code violation since we cannot run any foreign system above the equipment. The solution seems to relocate the fire line or move the panelborad at least 12 inches of the wall. Is there any exception in the code for existing installation that will permit us to leave it as is?

Thanks,

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the art.

(1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with
110.26(E)(1)(a) through (E)(1)(d).
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the
width and depth of the equipment and extending from the
floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to
the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated
to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection
apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical
installation shall be located in this zone.
Exception: Suspended ceilings with removable panels shall
be permitted within the 1.8-m (6-ft) zone.
(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated
space required by 110.26(E)(1)(a) shall be permitted to
contain foreign systems, provided protection is installed to
avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation,
leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.
(c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be
permitted for the dedicated space where the piping complies
with this section.
(d) Suspended Ceilings. A dropped, suspended, or
similar ceiling that does not add strength to the building
structure shall not be considered a structural ceiling.

faresos

Here is the art.

Thanks Dennis.

The way I read 110.26(E)(1)(b) it talks about the area above the dedicated space not within the dedicated space (which this is our case)

(b) Foreign Systems. The area above the dedicated
space required by 110.26(E)(1)(a) shall be permitted to contain
foreign systems, provided protection is installed to
avoid damage to the electrical equipment from condensation,
leaks, or breaks in such foreign systems.

and as far 110.26(E)(1)(c) I'm not sure if I do understand it, do they refer to the dedicated space above the panel? and what do they mean by the piping complies with this section?

(c) Sprinkler Protection. Sprinkler protection shall be
permitted for the dedicated space where the piping complies
with this section.

Thanks again for your help

Pharon

Hello everyone,

I have situation where we are installing a distribution panelboard (18-inch deep) on the wall in existing mechanical room. The existing condition has a 3-inch sprinkler line (with no sprinklers) running above it approximately 3-ft above the panel and 1ft of the wall. My understanding this is a code violation since we cannot run any foreign system above the equipment. The solution seems to relocate the fire line or move the panelborad at least 12 inches of the wall. Is there any exception in the code for existing installation that will permit us to leave it as is?

Thanks,
I agree with you. That sprinkler piping would only be permitted if there was a sprinkler head there which protected the equipment. Since it simply runs over the equipment and is not used to protect the panelboard, it doesn't seem to qualify as a foreign system exception.

faresos

I agree with you. That sprinkler piping would only be permitted if there was a sprinkler head there which protected the equipment. Since it simply runs over the equipment and is not used to protect the panelboard, it doesn't seem to qualify as a foreign system exception.

Actually I was just told that this sprinkler line is used to protect this room. I'm not sure if this will help our case.

thanks,

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I do not see any requirement that a sprinkler head be in the dedicated space.
The pipe would have to be protected against leakage as described in (a). Other than that, I do not even think that it is required to be above rather than in the dedicated space.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I do not see any requirement that a sprinkler head be in the dedicated space.
The pipe would have to be protected against leakage as described in (a). Other than that, I do not even think that it is required to be above rather than in the dedicated space.

I'm not sure how you would protect the pipe from leakage, unless you are using double wall pipe. If there are any tees, joints or elbows you could use something like a RAMCO shield to prevent the joint from spraying directly on a piece of equipment. Condensation could be addressed by insulating the pipe with a closed cell foam product, although the sprinkler guys will be scratching their heads on that; they hardly ever insulate their pipe.

rhovee

Why couldn't you just install a drip pan under the pipe above the panel and secure it to the wall with a downhill slant towards the face of the panel. Have it extend a couple feet last the panel?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I see nothing in 110.26 that allows the panel to be located below then pipe (or the pipe over the panel depending on your perspective)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I see nothing in 110.26 that allows the panel to be located below then pipe (or the pipe over the panel depending on your perspective)
I think that (E)(1)(c) does just that, since it mentions the dedicated space rather than above the dedicated space.
But you could instead read it as allowing the sprinkler head to spray on the panel but not drip on it. :)
Open for interpretation.

CobyRupert

I think that (E)(1)(c) does just that, since it mentions the dedicated space rather than above the dedicated space.
But you could instead read it as allowing the sprinkler head to spray on the panel but not drip on it. :)
Open for interpretation.

I understand you don't want foreign systems in the work space so this area is clear for future wires, raceway, etc..; but I could never understand the rational for not allowing pipes or ductwork above the workspace (without drip protection); yet a sprinkler head 1" outside this zone is ok? :?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I understand you don't want foreign systems in the work space so this area is clear for future wires, raceway, etc..; but I could never understand the rational for not allowing pipes or ductwork above the workspace (without drip protection); yet a sprinkler head 1" outside this zone is ok? :?
I think the basic principle is that, with or without a drip pan, a pipe directly above the panel could interfere with adding more electrical runs later.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The point is that you don't want accidental water on the electrical equipment, but if the area is hot enough to open a sprinkler head, the water is needed to protect the rest of the building. Electrical equipment that has generated enough heat to open a sprinkler head is already junk.

CobyRupert

The point is that you don't want accidental water on the electrical equipment, but if the area is hot enough to open a sprinkler head, the water is needed to protect the rest of the building. Electrical equipment that has generated enough heat to open a sprinkler head is already junk.

So....what's more likely to fail and dose electrical panel with water: a return air duct (or pipe with no unions) above the work space, or a sprinkler head 1" outside the work space?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So....what's more likely to fail and dose electrical panel with water: a return air duct (or pipe with no unions) above the work space, or a sprinkler head 1" outside the work space?
In the real world, neither is likely to fail and put water on the electrical equipment.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

exactly !

CobyRupert

But they are equally likely to "get in the way". Just not in the way of routine access, which is the business of the access/maintenance space.

..but, but, but, I'm taking about the case of a return air duct that is above the workspace (i.e. >6' above the panel and not in the dedicated workspace). The Code doesn't allow this, yet allows a sprinkler head to be placed 1" away.
IMO, to say you can't have this air duct here because it poses a risk of what, dripping water? Yet to allow the sprinkler head seems ridiculous.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
..but, but, but, I'm taking about the case of a return air duct that is above the workspace (i.e. >6' above the panel and not in the dedicated workspace). The Code doesn't allow this, yet allows a sprinkler head to be placed 1" away.
IMO, to say you can't have this air duct here because it poses a risk of what, dripping water? Yet to allow the sprinkler head seems ridiculous.
The location of the sprinkler head is per the rules in NFPA 13. The risk of the electrical equipment causing a fire that spreads beyond the electrical equipment is greater than the risk of an accidental opening of the sprinkler head.

Status
Not open for further replies.