• Yes

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 141 88.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

There is personal opinion then there is the semi-fact / code-opinion or intent.

I am not looking for personal opinion, just an opinion on a code.

Is NM-B allowed to be run inside conduit located outside a building?

220/221

1 yes how intersting.

I would like to hear the yes opinion explained.

I voted no..... but technically, the answer is yes because the question didn't specifically say "allowed by the NEC"

One could argue that it is allowed in some areas. Some areas may even have specific rules in place to "over ride" the NEC, kind of like the POCO's do.

480sparky

Isn't UF a non-metallic sheath cable?

No. It's Underground Feeder cable. If they were the same, they'd be in the same Article. UF is 340, NM is 334.

Even the definitions are different.

Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable. A factory assembly of two or more insulated conductors enclosed within an overall nonmetallic jacket.
Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable, Type UF. A factory assembly of one or more insulated conductors with an integral or an overall covering of nonmetallic material suitable for direct burial in the earth.

ivsenroute

Even though this was a simple, black and white answer, we still have 3 "yes" people and I would love to know the explanation.

I get more resistance from contractors when i fail them for this reason than just about any other because it has been let go for years. Nice to see that the rest of the country is on board with simple language. Thanks

Jim W in Tampa

We do see it done often in FL for runs to kitchen island receptacle. And i will say that i never seen any damaged signs of damage to the wire. Was passing here for long as i been wiring. But the nec answer is NO

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
I get more resistance from contractors when i fail them for this reason than just about any other because it has been let go for years.

Because low ballers knew they could get away with it, they ran the good contractor(s) off by taking the low road. Makes my day when we all have to compete on the same ball field :) !

rcelec

A simple no huh....lets complicate it.

Say you were coming out of a dwelling under a deck that was under a 6' porch.
You immediately enter an lb and then right into a box.Total distance 8" in lb and pipe.
Would that fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.