Hydromassage (jacuzzi) tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

I am installing a j. tub for a customer and it will be the first one I have hooked up. Since I have'nt acuired a copy of the '08 NEC yet, I was wondering if anything has changed from the '05 NEC (which I do own).

I looked it up on the web and noticed it states there must be a 'disconnect' for the tub. Can this be as simple as a switch? :confused:
What are some of ya'lls experiences? Thanks a bunch!! sparky723

Rewire

I am installing a j. tub for a customer and it will be the first one I have hooked up. Since I have'nt acuired a copy of the '08 NEC yet, I was wondering if anything has changed from the '05 NEC (which I do own).

I looked it up on the web and noticed it states there must be a 'disconnect' for the tub. Can this be as simple as a switch? :confused:
What are some of ya'lls experiences? Thanks a bunch!! sparky723

Why are you five months into 08 and you have yet to purchase a current code book?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was wondering if anything has changed from the '05 NEC (which I do own).

Here is one change but I believe most were doing this anyway.

680.71 Protection.
Hydromassage bathtubs and their associated electrical components shall be on an individual branch circuit(s) and protected by a readily accessible ground-fault circuit interrupter. All 125-volt, single-phase receptacles not exceeding 30 amperes and located within 1.83 m (6 ft) measured horizontally of the inside walls of a hydromassage tub shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

I believe installing the GFCI recep. under the tub may not meet code anymore. I always use a dead front GFCI Switch on the wall in the bathroom.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I believe installing the GFCI recep. under the tub may not meet code anymore. I always use a dead front GFCI Switch on the wall in the bathroom.

I agree with Dennis, this sort of changes the way things were done in the past with the GFCI receptacle under the tub next tot he motor.

sparky723

:smile:Thanks for the posts guys. I am getting alot of info. about the tub. I am more of a comm. indus. guy and I am unsure as to what a "dead front" gfci is. Also, I haven't gotten a codebook yet because I am looking for one that is tabbed and hilighted for the test. I have narrowed it down to 2 Dan dudley or Tom Henry. Both approx $200. Any suggestions? I hear these prehilighted ones REALLY help on the test. I take the ICC test. Later.

Rewire

If you check the definition of an Individual branch circuit it eliminates the use of a duplex GFI receptacle altogether.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
The dead front GFI does not have the slots to allow anything to be plugged into it. It has the same internals as a regular GFI. Make it easier to reset by normally being installed on the wall close to the point of use.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you check the definition of an Individual branch circuit it eliminates the use of a duplex GFI receptacle altogether.

As mentioned above the GFCI dead front does not have slots.

Edit: I guess you were making a point that the GFCI receptacle wouldn't be legal under the tub because there is 2 places to plug in. I agree. Here is a picture of the dead front.

gfci_non_outlet.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.