Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daisy Chain or Home Run CAT5E?

Daisy Chain or Home Run CAT5E?

I'm having a new home pre-wired...and I just found out that the CAT5E I was running to certain rooms is all daisy chained together. My intent was for home networking -- is CAT5E daisy chained of ANY use? If not, should I just save money use the standard CAT5 instead? Or are there any advantages to still using CAT5E rather than CAT5?

Again, I wanted to use this for home networking or FIOS or whatever the case may be...but it seems from what I've read that unless it is "home run", I shouldn't bother.

Thanks for any info!

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the button at the top right corner of the post.
    Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
    Responses based on the 2011 NEC, unless stated otherwise.

Smile

Sorry, it appeared to me that you have been wiring as a DIY. Even though you have been an apprentice, you are not an electrician nor are you in the trade. As long as you are dealing only with CAT5, I will permit your participation unless one of the other moderators thinks differently.

For what it is worth, I worked in distribution engineering for most of my career.
    Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy
    Responses based on the 2011 NEC, unless stated otherwise.

NO

I don't know that cat5 and cat5E are different in price. My supply house prices them both out at the same price so cat5E is what we would use.

As far as networking goes you are going to want all your data drops to be home run otherwise it is not going to work at all the locations.

You can not daisy chain network jacks unless you had a switch at every jack.

Edit to Add: My supply house now only carries cat5E or cat 6.

I'm having a new home pre-wired...and I just found out that the CAT5E I was running to certain rooms is all daisy chained together.

Care to explain that as a typo? I assume it was not you but somebody else running the cable. I would take issue with this by:

a) Making sure that person was not paid.
    b) Making sure you are not paying for it.
    c) Going after whoever was responsible with legal action (EC, GC) to make them pay to have it replaced. The only way to make these guys learn is to make them pay so much that they will never want to look at CAT5 again.

As to CAT5 vs CAT5e, CAT5 has been replaced by CAT5e so you shouldn't find any CAT5 around unless it's that cheap counterfeit Chinese stuff.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I'm having a new home pre-wired...and I just found out that the CAT5E I was running to certain rooms is all daisy chained together.

Care to explain that as a typo? I assume it was not you but somebody else running the cable. I would take issue with this by:

a) Making sure that person was not paid.
    b) Making sure you are not paying for it.
    c) Going after whoever was responsible with legal action (EC, GC) to make them pay to have it replaced. The only way to make these guys learn is to make them pay so much that they will never want to look at CAT5 again.

Hal that is a big jump to make without knowing the details of the job.

As far as we know the runs may have been just for POTS.

get rid of whatever you have and run home runs

Hal that is a big jump to make without knowing the details of the job... As far as we know the runs may have been just for POTS.

Very true and that did cross my mind but even telephone needs to be home run. The OP's description is very confusing.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Hal that is a big jump to make without knowing the details of the job... As far as we know the runs may have been just for POTS.

Very true and that did cross my mind but even telephone needs to be home run. The OP's description is very confusing.

-Hal
    I don't see why phone cable can't be daisy chained.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Twoskinsoneman View Post
    I don't see why phone cable can't be daisy chained.
    Phone can, but its bad practice and isn't the standard. Data cant.