Treadmill remote power

Status
Not open for further replies.

69jag

I have a treadmill that is left on all the time, I would like to place a time clock on the circuit at the panel , howevever the panel is at a remote location about 250 feet away. Is this something I can legally do I do not want the treadmill power to shut off while in use. Artical 430.75 ( A ) on disconnecting means leads me to believe no ! is there another code that leads to a yes answer? Thanks

Rick Christopherson

This sounds more like a personal issue than an electrical issue. Nevertheless, have you considered adding a motion detector to cut power when no one is present?

69jag

treadmill

treadmill

This sounds more like a personal issue than an electrical issue. Nevertheless, have you considered adding a motion detector to cut power when no one is present?

not really I have three treadmills one timeclock three two pole contactors and if the coil fails and someone is running lets say 6 miles per hour , and contactor pulls out CAN someone get HURT?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have a treadmill that is left on all the time. . . .
By that, I infer that the unit's ON/OFF switch is not generally moved to the OFF position by each user, when they finish their workout. So be it. Why should you care? The unit will not be using any measurable amount of electricity, if the motor is not running. Turning off the electronic controls and indicators between uses will not save more than a penny or two a year. It will cost the club far more to "fix" this non-problem that it would to merely ignore it.

69jag

reply to Charlie

reply to Charlie

It appears you have not been to the Gym in quite a few years not to say on a tread mill, all having tv mointors pulling a good 50 watts each x 3 x 365 x .15 per kilo watt do the math slick. also learn to read 430.75 ( A ) permits a remote controller under exceptions. Soory you're so narrow minded!

benaround

It appears you have not been to the Gym in quite a few years not to say on a tread mill, all having tv mointors pulling a good 50 watts each x 3 x 365 x .15 per kilo watt do the math slick. also learn to read 430.75 ( A ) permits a remote controller under exceptions. Soory you're so narrow minded!

Well, what's the question then,dude?

iwire

Staff member
I have a treadmill that is left on all the time, I would like to place a time clock on the circuit at the panel , howevever the panel is at a remote location about 250 feet away. Is this something I can legally do I do not want the treadmill power to shut off while in use. Artical 430.75 ( A ) on disconnecting means leads me to believe no ! is there another code that leads to a yes answer? Thanks

Seems to me you need to learn the difference between a controller and a disconnecting means.

The code often requires a disconnecting means in sight of the equipment but the code allows a controller to be almost anywhere.

The NEC does not prohibit you from installing a time clock for this equipment, however the NEC is not a design manual and just because it allows something does not mean it is a good idea.

By the way, if your asking folks for help it makes good sense to be civil. :rolleyes:

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

It's sounds perfectly legal and perhaps a smart way to save money over the long term. By the way, you could have mentioned this is not a run-of-the-mill tread mill. Charlie is an experienced and intelligent electrical mind and he was trying to help you based on a typical tread mill. Treating him like he doesn't know what he's talking about is a very big mistake. If you don't want his helpful advice perhaps you shouldn't have asked for it. Sorry YOUR so narrow minded!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure this is an Article 430 application, it seems like more of an appliance application.
A remote time clock would be inconvenient if you wanted to test the TM in off hours. If its plugged into an outlet, install an extension ring and wiremold to a switch box directly above, install the correct rated snap switch (IE HP rated), the switch is right by the machine.

mivey

What does a TV's usage have to do with a treadmill's usage? Charlie was responding to what you posted. Don't be such a jerk.

Anyway,
I just measured my treadmill: 4.87 watts at 92% pf. As evidenced by your people skills :rolleyes:, I know you have drawn the crowds, and these machines are used at least 8 hours of a 12 hour day, leaving 4 hours of idle time per day. 4*4.87*365.25/1000 = 7.12 kWh per year. At $0.10/kWh the idle time is costing you 71 cents per year per machine.

There's some slick math for you.

mivey

not really I have three treadmills one timeclock three two pole contactors and if the coil fails and someone is running lets say 6 miles per hour , and contactor pulls out CAN someone get HURT?
And you accuse Charlie of not being on a treadmill? These things don't just stop and catapult you off. It is no different than if you lost power.

Go over there, get on one, get up to 6 mph and pull the safety plug. Hardly dangerous.

69jag

Sorry Charlie!

Sorry Charlie!

I was only trying to save a buck you Ladies out there don't have to deal with a Million Dollar a month electric bill or a peak payment plan. So If it makes all you Ladies out there sleep better at night . SORRY Charlie . All you Gals have a wonderful Mothers Day. :)

mivey

I was only trying to save a buck you Ladies out there don't have to deal with a Million Dollar a month electric bill or a peak payment plan. So If it makes all you Ladies out there sleep better at night . SORRY Charlie . All you Gals have a wonderful Mothers Day. :)
And we were trying to keep you from spending a dollar to chase a dime.

Too bad you got your feelings hurt because we did not like your rude behavior. Just fill this out and send to the mods:):

HurtFeelingsReport.jpg

ultramegabob

I am trying to figgure out if this guy is a troll looking to start up and argument, or just a plain jerk. I think the mods should consider locking this thread, because he doesnt want to listen to anyones input without badmouthing everyones responses.

nhfire77

And we were trying to keep you from spending a dollar to chase a dime.

Too bad you got your feelings hurt because we did not like your rude behavior. Just fill this out and send to the mods:):

HurtFeelingsReport.jpg

This form has become standard issue to all employees effective immediately. For INTRA-office use only, of course!!!

I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.