Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Square D Generator interlock kit

I am curious...

What happens to the interlock function when the cover is removed from the panel to perform maintenance to the panel enclosure?

Will the breakers still be interlocked?

Lets say the electrician is working on the panel and removes the cover. In doing so, the interlock is removed as well.
    The electrician steps outside to his truck, something happens to cause the generator to start...what happens then?

Are these interlocks listed? I did not see any listing in the catalog or SQD's Digest.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

With the cover removed, you could switch both breakers in the "on" position. This applies to many so-called generator panels, with the external interlocking hardware installed.

Auto-start generators should not be utilized with manual transfer interlock kits, IMO. :-?

If one has the funds to purchase and install a gen set with auto-start capacity, they should be able to foot the cost for an ATS.

They give you fancy stickers to place on the breaker "warning to keep in off postion while cover is off". It is a manual switch so if generator kicks on it will not back feed unless breaker for gen set is on. I installed this unit with a WP 30 plug for portable generator. In MA we were hit with the Ice storm in early Dec so word around supply house was lots of interlock kits were sold.

The new exception of 702.6 to the '05 NEC would seem to me to eliminate the possibility of using these interlocks.

Does anyone have a link to show if these interlocks are listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre C Belarge View Post
    The new exception of 702.6 to the '05 NEC would seem to me to eliminate the possibility of using these interlocks.

Does anyone have a link to show if these interlocks are listed?
    Try this www.interlockkit.com

....Does anyone have a link to show if these interlocks are listed?
    Click here.

What happens to the interlock function when the cover is removed from the panel to perform maintenance to the panel enclosure?
    You beat me to the punch. I was ging to add that I remember reading something that requires the interlock to continue to function without the cover in place.

Oh, and thank you, by the way. :smile:
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    You beat me to the punch. I was ging to add that I remember reading something that requires the interlock to continue to function without the cover in place.

Oh, and thank you, by the way. :smile:

You are welcome.:cool:

As you have mentioned, I am still wondering/concerned that the device may be listed for one thing, and when installed, the instructions to warn about how to position the breaker would not be sufficient for the purpose of the transfer switch sections of 700, 701, 702.

Thanks for all the reply's. I went down to the local supply house and my favorite counter guy found this for me. 25 dollars and it just snaps on the breaker. http://www.eescodirect.com/direct/Pr...oductId=141752

I am still wondering if the interlocks are listed/identified as suitable for permanently installed generators????

Take a look at 702.6 and the exception