Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the issues with this type of installation is just what Peter has stated: people are getting too used to seeing this type of install and are becoming complacent about it.
Soon, if one does not see an installation like this, they are going to wonder, " why did that guy work so hard to do a nice job?", it really isn't necessary.

hardworkingstiff

If I see something like that, I think hard about whether I even want to work in there. I've turned down the chance to turn in bids on jobs similar to that before (but, I was busy so it was easy to turn it down).

Karl H

One of the issues with this type of installation is just what Peter has stated: people are getting too used to seeing this type of install and are becoming complacent about it.
Soon, if one does not see an installation like this, they are going to wonder, " why did that guy work so hard to do a nice job?", it really isn't necessary.

I could not agree more!

Jhaney

sadly my dad's a master electrician and I'm a journey man but because my brother "who isn't a electrician" won't ask for help or advice his house looks alot like that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey! I didn't say I like it, just that I've seen it, and had to work in it. If it were up to me (and someone else's checkbook), I'd strip it and start from scratch.

Remember, this is years and years of additions and changes. There is a sampling of just about every wiring method used throughout history in there.

Chris6245

All I can say is...Good thing those plumbing pipes were there..could you imagine trying to walk down there without any support for all those Cat5's:D

hurk27

With Log Cabin laws in most all states, wiring like that will be around for a long time.

(Log Cabin laws are laws that allow a home owner to do there own work on there own house that they will live in for more then a year)
and in many states they are not even required to pull permits, or get inspections as they take there own liability in there own hands.

I was told that this is also protected by the Constitution?

ericsherman37

With Log Cabin laws in most all states, wiring like that will be around for a long time.

(Log Cabin laws are laws that allow a home owner to do there own work on there own house that they will live in for more then a year)
and in many states they are not even required to pull permits, or get inspections as they take there own liability in there own hands.

I can agree with that law but all of that work should be disclosed to the next shmuck who moves in to the place.

But also - fire departments are publicly funded. If that guy burns his own house down cause of his own wiring, and my tax dollars are paying for the FD to go put the fire out, then he's gonna have to answer to me :D

FlyFish

Homeowner is one thing. This happens to be the basement of a Doctor's office. I only photographed one of 4 panels in this basement. They were all wired by the same person... It was obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.