building change

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireman1

a lawyers bldg was sold and now will be used as dental offices .the bldg was wired in romex. must examing rooms nowhave to be rewired with a redunat grounding methot as required by art.517 part 2

raider1

Staff member
In my opinion yes. When you have a change of occupancy from one occupancy type to another you must meet the NEC requirements for the new occupancy type. IMHO this is no different than remodeling a building.

Chris

bphgravity

Check with your local building code, namely the existing building code. As indicated by Chris, it is more likely than not that all portions of the building will have to be brought to code in line with the requirements of the new occupancy type.

In my opinion yes. When you have a change of occupancy from one occupancy type to another you must meet the NEC requirements for the new occupancy type. IMHO this is no different than remodeling a building.

Chris

Check with your local building code, namely the existing building code. As indicated by Chris, it is more likely than not that all portions of the building will have to be brought to code in line with the requirements of the new occupancy type.

In NYS and many other jurisdictions, the above references are what are going to drive the decision by the building department/AHJ.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Actually a change from an office to a dentist office is not a change of occupancy, it's a change of use. A "B" is still a "B".

That being said, we had the same thing happen here, and no the whole building doesn't have to be brought up to code, but the areas that will be used as exam rooms do.

raider1

Staff member
Actually a change from an office to a dentist office is not a change of occupancy, it's a change of use. A "B" is still a "B".

That being said, we had the same thing happen here, and no the whole building doesn't have to be brought up to code, but the areas that will be used as exam rooms do.

You are correct, I should have said a change in USE not occupancy.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You are correct, I should have said a change in USE not occupancy.

Chris

:smile:Sorry, wasn't really trying to pick the fly poop out of the pepper. I just happen to be working on training that talks about electrical requirements that come out of the building code and not the NEC and how EC's need to be aware of these requirements.

My point, is that if someone called you in to do some work that could change the occupancy, then more than just an electrical permit would be required and a new C of O may also be required.

raider1

Staff member
:smile:Sorry, wasn't really trying to pick the fly poop out of the pepper. I just happen to be working on training that talks about electrical requirements that come out of the building code and not the NEC and how EC's need to be aware of these requirements.

My point, is that if someone called you in to do some work that could change the occupancy, then more than just an electrical permit would be required and a new C of O may also be required.

No problem, in fact after I posted that I got thinking that I should have not used change of occupancy because a dentist's office and a lawyer's office would both be "B" occupancy's.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.