Electrical permit in the homeowners name

Status
Not open for further replies.

subman

I am being offered to do a rehab job that the homeowner already has a permit in his name. First time I have encountered this situation.

Question

Am I allowed to work under his permit or do I have to get my own?

Thanks for the help

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here in CA the answer is yes. They simply sign saying one of two things, that they will do the work them selves or that they will hire a licensed contractor.

growler

I am being offered to do a rehab job that the homeowner already has a permit in his name. First time I have encountered this situation.

Question

For a rehab project you normally start with a building permit and this is obtained by the homeowner or a GC.

A GC would be required to use licensed sub contractors but he really holds the permit for the job. In most areas a sub contractor just signs-in as the contractor of record( plumbing, electrical, HVAC) and the permit fees are paid for by the GC.

A homeowner can pull the building permit and actually do the work himself to include the licensed trades.

Normally you could not work under a homeowner's permit without signing-in as the electrician of record.

The only way to know for sure what is required is to call the authority having jurisdiction/permit office and ask them. They may or may not require you to sign-in or even pay other fees.

The inspections are normally easier if they know who is doing the work and that person is a licensed electrician. Deal with the inspectors directly and don't let the homeowner get involved.

JES2727

If you are in Jersey (Monmouth County) you are required to file a "Change of Contractor" application. This really protects the homeowner and his insurance company from assuming any liability for your work. The municipality may or may not care who does the work as long as it is permitted and inspected (and they get to collect the permit fees and raise the property taxes).

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

Question

Thanks for the help

In NJ you MAY NOT simply proceed with the work. You must file a change of contractor, which oddly enough there isn't a form for. The municipality will use the Permit Update form to note the change. You'll also need to fill out a new Electrical Sub-code Technical Section and sign and seal it. Depending on whether the number of devices is the same (up to 50 will be no difference), the permit change will cost about the same as the original permit.

kwired

Electron manager
This is something that can be different for a house across the street then it is where you are at. All depends on who the AHJ is and what their rules are for the actual location where the work is to be done.

Post #4 appears to possibly directly apply to your location.

John Arendt

NJ 'Rules' are all based on the NJ UCC (5:23 et al). The Change of Contractor is required statewide, not locally.

As said, you fill out a Electrical Subcode Tech card, and pay the required fees.

Failing to file the paperwork could result in the Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors giving you a call. IF anybody 'pushes' the issue, you could get fined. I say...'get to the office ASAP'

gadfly56

Occupation
Technically you should also fill out a new jacket, since on the inside front cover the homeowner would have checked the box for doing his own work and basically signed an affidavit to that effect. YMMV, depending on how bored the building department is.

John Arendt

As you say...'how bored'.
The jacket relates to the complete project, B/P/E/F. The HO may have a GC/Plumb/etc. My answer relates to the EC only, and that the 'rules' are supposed to be statewide.

gadfly56

Occupation
As you say...'how bored'.
The jacket relates to the complete project, B/P/E/F. The HO may have a GC/Plumb/etc. My answer relates to the EC only, and that the 'rules' are supposed to be statewide.

Yes, the rules are supposed to be statewide. However, when the homeowner filled out the original jacket, he would have checked the box under I.C.3 for electrical, the lead in to which says "I further certify that I will perform the following work[bold added]:". The next thing is the signature line. Personally I went through this on a service change on my home when the electical official decided I needed to install a service mast. This was outside my skill set, so I had a contractor take over. I didn't have to fill out a new jacket, but I think the building department would have been well within their rights to require it.

John Arendt

Gadfly:
Yes, some may think a new jacket without the 'electrical' checked; and the EC that is filing the COC to sign the folder inside cover as 'agent.

My office would not require a jacket; the COC tech card is satisfactory. I have not read any 'direction' on this within the scope of the UCC. We process in excess of 5500 permits a year, plus updates and COCs, and have not had this subject come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.