Splice in 6/3 NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

normel

The splice is in a crawlspace, in an accessible area, and is made using underground splice kits with heat shrink insulation. The splice is not in a box. Would this fall under 334.40 (B) where no box is required? Home inspector says it needs to be in a box, I'm not so sure.
To me, it seems a much better splice than what would be done with wire nuts.

kwired

Electron manager
The splice is in a crawlspace, in an accessible area, and is made using underground splice kits with heat shrink insulation. The splice is not in a box. Would this fall under 334.40 (B) where no box is required? Home inspector says it needs to be in a box, I'm not so sure.
I think the answer to this comes in looking into the listing of the splice kit. It is listed to splice underground cable, but is it listed to splice NM cable in it's ordinary usage conditions?

If connections fail in this kit what is potentially nearby that is combustible?
If connections fail in this kit when used underground, what is potentially nearby that is combustible? - that is what it was tested and listed for.

fmtjfw

See 334.40(B) in 2014.

normel

Thanks for the feedback. I will be cutting it out and placing in a box as required. I was mostly curious about whether it would be acceptable under the code article cited. I had not considered the violation of the UL listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.