how to clean copper parts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

OK guys !! I have a bunch of solid copper fuse reducers etc, that look like they have been in wet boxes. What is the best way to clean these items before putting thme in service??? I was thinking there has got to a solution similar to silver cleaner, just drop ing the bucket of acid/cleaner and it comes out shiny???

ericsherman37

Actually, we've been slowly renovating our house... 1941 or 1942... still has the original kitchen cabinets and hardware. My wife took the knobs and latches and stuff off and threw them in a pot of boiling water for 10 or 15 minutes. Cleaned the living daylights out of them - paint, grease, grime, etc. They work great now. Maybe boil your stuff?

cadpoint

If theres that many, or that important, I'd get one chemically analyised or sampled! C SI it a little bit.

What the item is, the enviroment it was in, will be the correct cleaning process!

Baking soda & water is also another possible cleaner, if all conditions are known!

Vinagar, is also another strong composite, but will pit metal as it removes particles.

Get some litmis paper, that tell you more than U know...

PetrosA

White vinegar (it's a lot more concentrated than lemon juice) and salt to make a solution, then dip. It will brighten the copper, but you still may have to use a brass or stainless brush to get the harder stuff off and you'll probably want to have good ventilation for the stink. I'd stay away from using steel wool since it leaves particles that can rust and react.

Brass would get just the vinegar without salt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.