old work ceiling fan boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

w_palazzo

Need to install a ceiling fan in my bedroom and noticed they sell oldwork boxes with adjustable brackets. I never do residential work so wondering how well these hold up over time or if they are just junk. Thanks alot

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Actually they work quite well, at least the ones that I've used. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the Forum. :smile:

ArcNSpark

Need to install a ceiling fan in my bedroom and noticed they sell oldwork boxes with adjustable brackets. I never do residential work so wondering how well these hold up over time or if they are just junk. Thanks alot

They *do* work well. Just make sure you don't overtighten them with your wrench; you can cause the ceiling joists to bow outwards if you get too froggy with it, which can create cracks in the ceiling. Especially in older houses.

220/221

They are a PITA if you ask me.

If I can find a joist anywhere close to center, I will use it.

If there is any attic access at all, I will climb up and screw in some blocking.

If there is any drywall patching going on, I will cut out a chunk and screw in some blocking.

stew

The ones with the adjustable spreader bar work great and are the only ones I use even if there is attic access. Too old for attics.I think thats why they call me a senior member.

iMuse97

I've used this baby twice now ,.. love it .,,,Once for a pool table light and once for a paddle fan ,.. in both cases the original box was mounted to the side of the joist ,.. piece of cake .

http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/SB/Images/SBFAN_450.jpg

That's the style I like. I've used the adjustable spreader-bar ones and I tend to over-tighten them because I don't trust the engineering. I suppose it would depend what type of joist or truss you were tightening them against. But in my experience I'd feel more comfortable attaching the box itself to the joist.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've used this baby twice now ,.. love it .,,,Once for a pool table light and once for a paddle fan ,.. in both cases the original box was mounted to the side of the joist ,.. piece of cake .

http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/SB/Images/SBFAN_450.jpg

SBFAN_450.jpg

Those are great if you want the fan off center in the room. :D

Doesn't work very well when the framing doesn't fall out where you need it.

M. D.

SBFAN_450.jpg

Those are great if you want the fan off center in the room. :D

Doesn't work very well when the framing doesn't fall out where you need it.

True , but when replacing an existing non rated box that was in the right spot mounted to the side of the joist those crank outs require location adjustment as they need more clearance from the joist.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
True , but when replacing an existing non rated box that was in the right spot mounted to the side of the joist those crank outs require location adjustment as they need more clearance from the joist.

Yes for replacement of a side mounted fixture rated box those are great. For replacing a metal ceiling bar box or adding a new fan outlet those may or may not work very well.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I carry two or more of each kind, because you often don't know what kind of box you'll need until you make the hole.

There are saddles, half-saddles, pancakes, metal side-mounts, and a couple of different expanding-bar types.

Status
Not open for further replies.