Mr. Ed's new house

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I got a call today to go look at a complete new wiring in a 40'x40' new pole barn. They are going to use to barn to house horses. I have never wired a horse barn before and I am reading section 547 now. Any other suggestions that would be good to know before I go to meet the owner or pitfalls to look out for?

480sparky

Put all your switches and receps out of reach from the critters. Horses can get pretty rough with devices and cords. Sometimes you have to get creative in physically protecting some stuff, like putting 2x4s on either side of a box.

laketime

Went over 547.10 with the local inspector. What products are you guys using for dust tight receptacle/switch enclosures?

SiddMartin

Probally gonna need power for water heaters (for the troughs) or whatever they have the water in. GFI protected ofcourse

MNWildcat

Grounded Conc?

Grounded Conc?

This is a little vague and seams a little weird, but I heard that for cattle at least, if you have a concrete floor you have to add a grouning mesh or something like that. Aparently the cattle will not step one foot (hoof) into it because of any minor stray voltage, or if they are in they are extremely uncomfortable.
I am not sure if this applies to horses though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I got a call today to go look at a complete new wiring in a 40'x40' new pole barn. They are going to use to barn to house horses. I have never wired a horse barn before and I am reading section 547 now. Any other suggestions that would be good to know before I go to meet the owner or pitfalls to look out for?

UF cable..............or conduit is my suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.