uses permitted N M cable in class I construction with existing N M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas B

wondering if i can just come out of the N M sconce box in the wall with N M cable to add a light fixture in a 37 floor hotel. the building was built in 1980 Boston MA with romex through out the guest rooms, even the 277v electric heat is feed with romex. the rest of the building however is feed with BX or MC. all i want to do is add a light in the cieling. i can't imagine having to change out the N M box with a metal one and then use MC, it just seems silly to me that there is already thousands of feet of romex aleady. i can't seem to find it in the nec an exeption that fits my problem. please tell me what ya's think:?

iwire

Staff member
The NM was allowed in MA at any height but could not leave the unit or dwelling.

So what you end up with is AC, MC or conduit for the wiring in the public halls etc and NM in the rooms.

You might take a look at the 2014 Mass amendments and see if anything has changed but as far as I know you can still use NM for this.

Thomas B

thanks i'll take a look. just to clearify, i'll be comming out of a ould work nm box thats feed with nm with a 6' whip through the cieling in to my new 4'' round nm box for a new light

iwire

Staff member
Here is the MA amendment I think applies, take note of the exception.

334.10. Amend (3) and insert an exception to read as follows:
(3) Other Structures Permitted to Be of Types III, IV, and V Construction. Cables shall be
installed within walls, floors, or ceilings that provide a thermal barrier of material that has at
least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.

Exception to (2) and (3): For buildings or structures required to be of Type I or Type II
construction, Type NM, Type NMC, and Type NMS cables shall be permitted to be used,
provided that where so applied in buildings or structures exceeding three stories above grade,
circuits run in Type NM, NMC, or NMS cable shall not leave the floor or dwelling unit from
which the circuits originate.

Thomas B

ya that's just what i was looking for. don't know why i did not think to look in da ma amendments but i'm open to be:ashamed1: criticized .

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.