Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting holes in panel covers

Question Cutting holes in panel covers

Is it legal according to the NEC to cut a hole on a CB panel cover for a receptacle? Someone wants me to do that but I said I didn't think it could be done. If anything it would be a listing issue right?
    *Sometimes I wonder why the frisbee keeps getting bigger...and then it hits me!

bad move.

I spent an hour or two with square D tech support the other day ordering a new deadfront (inspector demanded) because some clown put 34 spaces in a 32 space panel.

I'm no expert but I don't see how you could do it without violating the ul listing of the cover.

If you look at the Code for what it is, it is really a safety device. However, much of any such wording is impractical or irrelevant in certain situations.
    In this case, you could figure any modification, at all, to a mechanically produced part violates the listing and is therefore taboo. However, we routinely punch our own holes in panels and boxes.
    So the thing to do is ask yourself: "Is this compromising safety?" The hole you punch is the right size and in the appropriate location. Better, in fact, than what the factory can do.
    Now you mention that this is for a recptacle. The Code is mainly concerned with making sure that there are no un-occupied holes and that the panel is not overloaded. Are you going to punch those two, semi-circular holes in the panel cover? I would suggest punching a big hole for the whole shibob and using a receptacle plate.
    Or you could chicken out and just add an external handy box for the recept.
    ~Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    ...Or you could chicken out and just add an external handy box for the recept.
    ~Peter
    Well the problem is that there is only abotu 1.5" of space around the edges of the panel
    *Sometimes I wonder why the frisbee keeps getting bigger...and then it hits me!

I dont think the panel cover is listed to hold a device.

also, how would you remove the panel cover with a receptacle in it? leave enough wire to reach to the floor? Of if you dont do it, maybe some genious handyman who knows nothing of electrical material beyond what is sold at homedepot will install a luminare disconnect (i think alot of people dont realize these are only good for 3 amps) so the cover can be unplugged.

Why do they even want this?

Quote Originally Posted by nakulak View Post
    I spent an hour or two with square D tech support the other day ordering a new deadfront (inspector demanded) because some clown put 34 spaces in a 32 space panel.
    Where did they find the two extra stabs? :-?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Electron_Sam78 View Post
    Is it legal according to the NEC to cut a hole on a CB panel cover for a receptacle? Someone wants me to do that but I said I didn't think it could be done. If anything it would be a listing issue right?
    The simple answer is "no"!

Where did they find the two extra stabs?
    I have the same question?
    Reward the hard worker and drop the buddy buddy slacks!!!

I don't think panels are listed for receptacle mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Are you going to punch those two, semi-circular holes in the panel cover?
    Well, they do make double-D KO punches of that size.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Where did they find the two extra stabs? :-?
    the extra breakers were removed before I got there, but the blanks didn't cover the spaces properly and you could see where the deadfront was cut (with a sawzall). I don't know what they had rigged up, but it was ugly looking and no blanks covered the spaces without ugly gaps (and I didn't get a chance to cut the blanks nice to fit before -oops, here's the inspector)

Quote Originally Posted by Electron_Sam78 View Post
    Well the problem is that there is only abotu 1.5" of space around the edges of the panel
    What about plugmold?