New Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

asti1

Is this me or everyone is experiencing a shortage of new generation of electricians. I am 34 and started @ 16 worked my way up the ranks and now I am the EC. Kids these days are sure diffrent:-?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is this me or everyone is experiencing a shortage of new generation of electricians. I am 34 and started @ 16 worked my way up the ranks and now I am the EC. Kids these days are sure diffrent:-?
I still say the same thing about your generation. :grin:

electricalperson

no one wants to work. someday this trade will have few electricians and we will be as valueable as we once were in the old days :D

maybe less electricians will be a good thing. maybe we will bring the skill and craft back to the trade. i know a lot of people dont really take pride in there work all they care about is if its to code and finished so they can get paid.

why not run the wires straight instead of cutting across the celing? why not twist the wires together nice and neat before a wirenut instead of just wirenutting the bare wires? because it costs too much!

education is key to quality electricians. the trade schools need to concentrate on related math and science just as much as the actual shop work. kick out the kids who dont want to learn and train the kids that do want to learn into top notch electricians that will make tesla proud :grin:

peter d

why not run the wires straight instead of cutting across the celing?

If they're going to be concealed above a suspended ceiling, "as the crow flies" will take less labor and material.

why not twist the wires together nice and neat before a wirenut instead of just wirenutting the bare wires? because it costs too much!

Most, if not all, twist on wire connectors do not require pretwisting.

electricalperson

well personally nothing is uglier than wires running across the room in the celing. people will see it. the HO will see it when they do walk thrus, the carpenter will the plumber will. i understand the cost of material but why not take pride in your work? the way i was trained was to run wires straight and neat. in the real world people dont care its all about the dollar

how about we use scotchlock connectors instead of wirenuts? they dont even need the insulation stripped! we can save 10 cents!

peter d

Your proving his point. Im not questioning your work just saying.

No, what I'm proving is the difference between how hourly workers think and business owners think.

There is a time and place for neat and squared, and there is a time and place for "as the crow flies." Knowing when one or the other is appropriate is the key.

Flex

No, what I'm proving is the difference between how hourly workers think and business owners think.

There is a time and place for neat and squared, and there is a time and place for "as the crow flies." Knowing when one or the other is appropriate is the key.

Wrong my business owner thinks the neat way which is why I do it. If he wanted something else I would do it. Also business is just fine.

edit : Not trying to be rude just think thats too broad a statement but I do understand your point.

Last edited:

ceb58

I still say the same thing about your generation. :grin:

So do I, these 34 year old kids when will they grow up:grin:

working conditions.
The conditions involve work.
Most kids I see today have never been made to learn how to work. As a parent the old adage of we want something better for our kids still holds true but along the way it has been forgotten to teach them how to achieve this.
Most schools push the high tech. jobs like computer programing, IT programs and the such. But what they forget is if you dont have power to it it wont work. For the young guys that are in the trade it's just a job. Pull the wire, get payed at the end of the week. The most dont know why they they are doing what they do except for that's what the boss said to do. This goes back to the employer looking at the bottom line. It will cost money to train someone so it's cheaper to find a drone to just do what you tell them and never question why it's this way.

peter d

how about we use scotchlock connectors instead of wirenuts? they dont even need the insulation stripped! we can save 10 cents!

Have you ever wired a continuous row of fluorescent lights like you see in many big box stores? Apparently you haven't because those a perfect place to use scotch lock connectors. :cool:

electricalperson

another problem is the trade school doesnt actually prepare kids for the real world. i remember one of the first times me and a journeyman went out to work. i was surprised he was swearing because in school we never swore!

the school makes it seem that the jobs are nice and easy so all the kids take electrical and think there awesome. as soon as they graduate they last 5 minutes because the boss makes them use a shovel.

when im in business i want my guys to run wires straight, do work neat because the customer is paying for a professional job. anybody can run wires cross country but it looks 100 times more professional if they are nice and straight.

electricalperson

Have you ever wired a continuous row of fluorescent lights like you see in many big box stores? Apparently you haven't because those a perfect place to use scotch lock connectors. :cool:

i used them once and thats about it they have there place but im just trying to make a point here.

i worked in a few shaws and star markets and if i remember correctly they were fed with MC.

i do agree if you have one big continuous row of coffin lights or whatever then scotchlocks will work. ive also seen scotchlocks not put on right and burn

Flex

Agree 100%. Nothing shotty about them. They make a good connection plus are extremely fast to install. Nice little invention.

electricalperson

I think the main problem is the parenting.

i agree with that. the parents need to beat those kids sensless sometimes. i see kids disrespect there parents all the time but the parents cant do anything about it. when i was little if i stepped out of line i would get the strap:D now a days if you spank or slap a kid its child abuse and your in prison.

Flex

i agree with that. the parents need to beat those kids sensless sometimes. i see kids disrespect there parents all the time but the parents cant do anything about it. when i was little if i stepped out of line i would get the strap:D now a days if you spank or slap a kid its child abuse and your in prison.

I agree on that point. Im not going to beat my kids but I will put the fear of god into them.

Status
Not open for further replies.