Learning the code

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

How do study the code? Read it daily, or learn it from this forum and other forums. Look things up when you have a job to do. What so some of think is the best way learn it. I find I learn better when I do it on the job.

gus

How do study the code? Read it daily, or learn it from this forum and other forums. Look things up when you have a job to do. What so some of think is the best way learn it. I find I learn better when I do it on the job.

gus

I say all of the above.

There are study aides, and all kinds of reference material online, especially from the manufacturers...and most of that is FREE:cool::cool:

Google or Bing will become your best friends.:wink:

I forgot to mention your peers.

PCN

Everything you mentioned is great, plus there are some great corespondence courses out there that are very helpful. Take a code update course.

(Or buy a house in iwire's neighborhood and buy him lot's of beer in trade for tutoring. :grin:)

Check out Mike Holt's products, here is is just one example:

http://www.mikeholt.com/productitem...le=NEC&product_type=Course&searchtext=08ccdvd

For what it's worth I learn something on this forum almost everytime time I visit it.

brian john

What does help me is in lieu of waiting for a MH expert to answer the posted question , I look it up myself and hope I learn from that, in addition to reading.

e57

I want to know if in the code is permitted derivate two conductors 12 AWG from only one breaker of 20 A
Huh?!?!?

If I understand that? You want two conductors on one breaker????

The answer is yes - and it is not technicaly a code question, more of a listing issue. And the code requires you to follow the listing....

So, if the breaker is listed for two or more conductors of whatever size - then it is OK, if not - it is not....

Anyway welcome to the forum, but it might be a good idea to post a question in a thread of its own...

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How do study the code? Read it daily, or learn it from this forum and other forums. Look things up when you have a job to do.
All of the above. If I were to recommend reading one article without waiting to have to, it would be 250.

frankgi

gus

As someone else had mentioned, if you are really serious in learning the code...Mike Holts "NEC Exam Preparation" cant be beat. 3000 (??) sample code questions and answers in all different formats (chapter by chapter or random)
Frank Gi

jmsbrush

I think all comments are great, Just remember that it does not happen over night. The process of learning will be almost everyday ,if you decide to stay in the electrical industry and excel.

Also just because someone is great in the code, does not necessarily make him the best electrician in the field.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
One more thing: nobody is expected to memorize the NEC. You just need to learn how to find what you need when you need to.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
1.A do a job, review the NEC rules for that job.
2. Get volume 1 and 2 of Mike Holts Understanding the NEC
3. The NFPA handbook is good, but perhaps a bit advanced for beginners
4. Go the wholesale house, get catalogs from Sq D and Cutler Hammer, and review.
4. Subscribe to
EC&M, free and very worth while, Mike Holt writes for this magazine
EC magazine, its more on the contracting side, but still good.
5. Join IAEI and attend meetings. If you don't join you can still attend meetings. There section conferences are very reasonable, you will meet many code panel members
6, Hang out here.

norcal

I say all of the above.

There are study aides, and all kinds of reference material online, especially from the manufacturers...and most of that is FREE:cool::cool:

Google or Bing will become your best friends.:wink:

I forgot to mention your peers.

"BING", I understand stands for: But It's Not Google. :wink:

IMO, one can never know too much,but one can know too little, so the quest for knowledge is never ending.......

480sparky

I remember this question from my 4th-year apprentice class. The instructor was asked what the best way to learn the code.

His reply was something like, "Well, you get into the trade in 1967 as an apprentice, become a journeyman in 1972, work in the field everyday doing a variety of both residential and commercial jobs, and the next thing you know, you've practically got it memorized!"

Today, his credentials are quite impressive. A member of CMP 3 for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.