3 phase panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal

Anyone know of a 12 or 16 space 277/480 volt load center? Looking for something really cheap.

Is any equipment for use over 240 volts cheap? Should be able to find a 24 space panel pretty easy, but that is not the question.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Anyone know of a 12 or 16 space 277/480 volt load center? Looking for something really cheap.

The term "load center" will not apply to a 480V panel, it will be called a "panelboard". Load center is a residential term based on a cheaper lighter version of a panelboard for plug-in breakers*, that are not capable of withstanding much fault energy, something that is not going to apply to 480V. You can find 3 phase load centers, but they will be 240V max.

Then because 480V is only going to be 3 phase, any panelboard is going to have space numbers that are divisible by 3, so 16 space is out from the get-go. A 12 space panelboard is theoretically possible, but that would be 6 on one side, 6 on the other so if you put in all 3pole breakers, you only get 4, and balancing will be difficult because you have one more breaker than there are phases (theoretical, because it leaves out the possibility of 2pole breakers, I'm just showing why they don't bother).

So what you will find is that everyone starts with 18 spaces on a 3 phase panelboard.

* Yes, I know that I-Line panelboards are technically plug-in, but they are somewhat unique and all other panelboard rules follow anyway. Still not available in small sizes and DEFINITELY not cheap.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Is any equipment for use over 240 volts cheap? Should be able to find a 24 space panel pretty easy, but that is not the question.

I might have to go 24 space if I cant:happysad:, so you would be right.

Come by our shop. Bring cash. Do it after 5:30 so the boss is gone. I'll make you a swinging deal on some old panel we have lying around.

Awesome.:D If Im not mistaken you are a bit far from me, but I can fire up my 3-D printer.:lol: Fax it over! :p:)

The term "load center" will not apply to a 480V panel, it will be called a "panelboard". Load center is a residential term based on a cheaper lighter version of a panelboard for plug-in breakers*, that are not capable of withstanding much fault energy, something that is not going to apply to 480V. You can find 3 phase load centers, but they will be 240V max.

Then because 480V is only going to be 3 phase, any panelboard is going to have space numbers that are divisible by 3, so 16 space is out from the get-go. A 12 space panelboard is theoretically possible, but that would be 6 on one side, 6 on the other so if you put in all 3pole breakers, you only get 4, and balancing will be difficult because you have one more breaker than there are phases (theoretical, because it leaves out the possibility of 2pole breakers, I'm just showing why they don't bother).

So what you will find is that everyone starts with 18 spaces on a 3 phase panelboard.

* Yes, I know that I-Line panelboards are technically plug-in, but they are somewhat unique and all other panelboard rules follow anyway. Still not available in small sizes and DEFINITELY not cheap.

I take that means everything will be more than 18 spaces. Any chance a specialty exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.