Responsibility for preexisting work

Status
Not open for further replies.

davec

I am a recently licensed electrician working for my self. I've been doing work on houses built in the early 1900's. My question is this, how much of the preexisting wiring am I responsible for if I make a minor changes, say, add additional receptacles off an existing circuit that is not up to today's code standards. Also, if I notice other code violations in areas I'm not working on, what is my responsibility. Permits are pulled on all work, but I'd like to get it completely right before the work is inspected.

jeremysterling

Welcome to the forum!

iwire's link is good debate on the subject. His state has clear statutes outlining where the contractor's responsibility ends with tying into existing work.

Working on those old houses affords you the opportunity to see wiring methods that I have never seen. Please keep us informed about your work.

480sparky

Addressing this situation in a contract before work starts is your best option.

If the customer fully understands that anything 'discovered' during the work is not included, that goes a long way to preventing headaches.

celtic

Much will depend on your location - if you are from NJ, I can tell you about the "Rehab Code".

e57

I'd like to get it completely right before the work is inspected.
You get a phone number for him/her and you call and ask....

As for the broader question - it is all up to the local AHJ. Some places require if the walls are open to re-work all that is visible to be current. Others only what you work on, and correct what was NEVER to code. Bottom line is it is not an easy cover all answer - it changes from place to place. Sometimes inspector to inspector.

And 480's comment about the contract for such is wholey relevant!!!

brian john

One thing I always did was point out the obvious and note it on my tickets as being a violation or unsafe condition.

This can also generate additional work but it may cover your tushie should there be issues later.

Check with your local code enforcement office. Not just the inspector who may have his own ideas that are not necessarily mandated by his superiors.

RonPecinaJr

Much will depend on your location - if you are from NJ, I can tell you about the "Rehab Code".

The way I read it, the rehab code benefits the contractor in many ways. For instance, add a few circuits here, there, and everywhere, and the rehab code says the electrical service must be updated. At least that's how I interpreted it.

It's the same for rehab, repair, or renovations.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the HO say "we want this, and that, and this, but we'll wait on upgrading the service."

The rehab code kind of forces the issue.

I am a recently licensed electrician working for my self. I've been doing work on houses built in the early 1900's. My question is this, how much of the preexisting wiring am I responsible for if I make a minor changes, say, add additional receptacles off an existing circuit that is not up to today's code standards. Also, if I notice other code violations in areas I'm not working on, what is my responsibility. Permits are pulled on all work, but I'd like to get it completely right before the work is inspected.

Welcome to the forum.

For your first post, you have picked a topic that was discussed at length already, so you may not get as much responses from some of the weary participants.
On the other hand, you may get a ton of responses. Just remember that the responses are not the official response you may get from your jurisdiction.

MY 2 cents:

This could be a tough question, I say it is based on how severe the noncompliance is from the current code(s) you are referencing today.
If it was compliant the day installed it should be okay...of course unless your local jurisdiction says otherwise.

Again, it depends on how hazardous the noncompliance may be. If it was me and the stapling was substandard, hohuuummm. But if the lights are installed without boxes, that may be another issue. If you decide to notify the customer, I would put it in writing, such as on an invoice. This will give you and them a written record of them being notified and if they decide not to do the repair, it is also recorded.

If one is performing electrical work in/on a property, that individual is considered to be an expert.

If said expert sees an issue that he deems to be a hazard to the property or person, it is his ethical responsibility to report it.

That is what I meant.

dcspector

OK I have to ask,:smile: how does the severity of the violation have any impact on this person responsibility for it?

Bob it does not. Severity that is. Plethora of minor issues do....to the Builder that is. The EC may deliver the citing but otherwise post it on the window next to the permit, pass the new work by the Electrician and be done with it. That is what I was trying to say the last time on this issue (BTW I did recieve some hate mail regarding that thread:wink:) I have always had 100% back up from DCRA on these issues.

celtic

For instance, add a few circuits here, there, and everywhere, and the rehab code says the electrical service must be updated. At least that's how I interpreted it.

I do not see that requirement [maybe I haven't read all 165 pages....got a page number?]

I DO see this requirement:
2. When the use of a building is changed to Group R-2, R-3, R-4 or R-5, the electrical wiring and equipment of the building shall comply, at a minimum, with the Basic Requirements of this subcode for that use and shall have the electrical service (conductors and equipment) sized and rated in accordance with the electrical subcode. (Electrical)

I will concede that adding various loads may affect the existing service, but I do see it as a Rehab Code requirement to upgrade the service....that would fall under the EC's due diligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.