analog vs digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter

Analog [with a dial] are seemingly immune to the terrors of phantom voltage. Digital, on the other hand, is more hip and probably cheaper to produce. So most stores carry digital.
You might get more digits on a digital like a reading of 121.4 volts instead of 121+ volts on analogue. But who cares about 0.4 volt?
~Peter

They both have their uses.
The newer digital testers now have either a plug in adapter or are internally provided with a resolve for "ghosting" or "phantom" voltage issues.

The digital units provide a more accurate reading, but it is not often the general field electricain will need the accuracy.

S'mise

They call me the wanderer...

They call me the wanderer...

It's mostly a prefrence thing. The phantom voltage can be annoying when reading system voltages (house wiring and such) with a digital meter. And an analog meter you can see stuff like AC noise on a dc circuit. The biggest thing I hate about a digital is the way it wanders. If the reading fluctuates, you are stuck watching the numbers flash up and down. If you are using analog you know exactly what you are seeing. But be careful, if you drop it or even bump it, it's now out of calibration.:mad:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I use my K-60 for almost all troubleshooting and testing. I need to discern between 120v and 0v, not 124.3v and 117.6v.

I haven't used these in years for the simple fact that they are fragile. They are great for bench work though.

0616092236.jpg

76nemo

Using analog on things such as ASD's can hold it's weight, or things such as ghost voltage, but there again, there are adaptions with digital meters that can make their way around it.

electricalperson

would this be a good meter for every day tests? i normally use a wiggy but for low voltage circuits or other tests where a DMM might come in handy i might use the 260. ill use the dmm for mv tests and hertz tests

76nemo

would this be a good meter for every day tests? i normally use a wiggy but for low voltage circuits or other tests where a DMM might come in handy i might use the 260. ill use the dmm for mv tests and hertz tests

Chris, what is your purpose of using the Simpson 260 exactly???? What is your specific question???????

electricalperson

Chris, what is your purpose of using the Simpson 260 exactly???? What is your specific question???????

i enjoyed using the simpson meters in school and i bought one and want to use it in the field. im wondering if using analog meters is a common thing and might be better than using digital in certain situations.

i probably wont use it to troubleshoot everyday but i might use it every now and then like i do with a DMM. usually i use the dmm for ohms and low voltage that a wiggy cant be used on

76nemo

They each have their own uses Chris. You have to decipher what to use them on. You'll talk with many here who chose analog, you'll talk to many here who prefer digital. It's your own cup of tea. They both have their positive points of use, but it's all about what you want to utilize, and how to go about it in it's own perspective. Alot of newer DMM's have an anaolg bar graph along side a digital display, take it as you see it.

electricalperson

my favorite thing about analog is watching the needle. in reality ill probably use my DMM more than the simpson because i dont want to drop it. i have an analog megger that cost me 1000 dollars but i use the 1507 more. i really enjoy analog equipment.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I have and use them both.

Why not? They are different tools and respond in different manners. Why not be able to check both parameters?

Sorry, Fluke covered that with one of their meters that mimicked analog and also displayed in digital. More than a week's pay at the time though....

76nemo

I have and use them both.

Why not? They are different tools and respond in different manners. Why not be able to check both parameters?

Sorry, Fluke covered that with one of their meters that mimicked analog and also displayed in digital. More than a week's pay at the time though....

Both parameters??? I have a 1520 and 1507. The 1520 has an analog display, is that what you are referring to?

Status
Not open for further replies.