Run a Neutral for each phase conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLEECME

I have a general note from an engineer which says" Run a neutral conductor for each phase conductor. Do not share the neutral conductor in homeruns. (NEC 210.4)

I've looked at NEC 210.4 and don't see where this is required.
Is the intention there to get away from multipole circuit breakers that would be required per 210.4(B)?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The bottom line is, the engineer wrote the spec and the job was bid this way so two wire circuits is what it is.

This could have be speced for a number of reasons.

Roger

JLEECME

The project hasn't been bid yet, I like to read these notes prior to submitting a number. I understand the engineer can spec the project however he wants, I'm just curious why he sites 210.4

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm just curious why he sites 210.4

That is a good question seeing how he actually worded 210.4 in the spec.

It might be as simple as he simply doesn't understand the article section.

Can you submit a question for clarification before bid time?

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

I would bid as per specs and include a second price to do this as mwbc. Its not just more wire its larger conduit. Perhaps call him to see if he understands the extra cost.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Some advantages, as we've discussed, are not having to kill more than one circuit at a time, and reduced danger of over-voltage from a loose or broken neutral pathway.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
It might be as simple as he simply doesn't understand the article section.

It might be.... but this idea that all EEs are idiots weighs me down a little. I know that in the company I worked for ,designing electrical systems, we implemented a rule that basically said one neutral for every hot because we were burned by our technicians several times....two circuits on the same phase with shared neutral.....

Yeah Yeah just hire smarter guys..... but that is easier said than done

Status
Not open for further replies.