Let's Twist Again - Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Yup. Me too.

Suppose one of those GB's backed off enough while you were stuffing that box, do you think wires MIGHT seperate a bit, Possibly causing...

NO! NO! NO!

Its workmanship!

Where is that damb apprentice!!! :cool:

No, it really is workmanship, because even with those crummy GB wirenuts you can still twist them on tight. If a wirenut is so loose that folding it back into the box causes it to loosen enough to arc fault, then the installer is not tightening up enough in the first place.

TwinCitySparky

No, it really is workmanship, because even with those crummy GB wirenuts you can still twist them on tight. If a wirenut is so loose that folding it back into the box causes it to loosen enough to arc fault, then the installer is not tightening up enough in the first place.

Sure - whatever you say. Gotcha

220/221

the cheap, flimsy, wobbley, thin, blue boxes distort too easy and are hard to screw devices into.

Interesting. I have used them since they came out in the mid 80's and have never had a single issue with them.

I have seen some old grey Slater quick click boxes that wouldn't take a device screw because the mechanism broke, but never an issue with the Carlons.

I have noticed that the plastic mud rings dont like to accept 6/32's sometimes.

I just don't buy the argument that the connector itself is the cause of the problem

Operator error.:roll:

220/221

Since I don't have any work today.

Four 12's

electrical234.jpg

I used both Ideal and I think GB (the ones with the lines) wingnuts and twisted about 15 half turns. Results were the same.

electrical235.jpg

Remove nut

electrical243.jpg

Wire could be twisted a bit tighter ao I used side cutters to see how much more.

electrical244.jpg

It twisted a bit more but also squared off the tip so the nut doesn't go on as easily.

I didn't test it but obviously #14 wire would have twisted together 100% using only the wingnut.

Also, I was working with only about 12" of wire and it was difficult to hold it from spinning. Wire in a box would be fixed at one end allowing for more torque.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It twisted a bit more but also squared off the tip so the nut doesn't go on as easily.
After I twist, I then cut the tips and give a sliding twist on the tips that round them off, so the wirenut spring will screw on farther, engaging more of the wires.

icesoft

After I twist, I then cut the tips and give a sliding twist on the tips that round them off, so the wirenut spring will screw on farther, engaging more of the wires.

Glad to see I'm not the only idiot that does that :grin:

So where are the guys that use a box-end wrench to tighten the standard (non-winged) wirenuts down.... I expected to see that enter the discussion by now since we're on post 87 already. After all, we've already covered the Russian brides..... :rolleyes:

arossi

Not that I want to jump in, but where is the problem with pre-twisting AND properly installing the wirenut??? 5 more seconds per box and best way to fly ???? Or at least "I" think so. And any method can be trouble, if not properly installed!!

220/221

Not that I want to jump in, but where is the problem with pre-twisting AND properly installing the wirenut??? 5 more seconds per box and best way to fly ????

5 seconds? Really? I always find iy extremely awkward to twist more than two wires with sidecutters. Round wires....flat tipped pliers. The wires want to spread out/ fall apart and that whole tighen loosen motion seems difficult.

Maybe if there were notches in the tips of the sidecutters?

Nah.

Originally Posted by Jim W in Tampa
Each state has own rules. Never fly in FL.

Any idea what this guy was referring to?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
And any method can be trouble, if not properly installed!!
Agreed, obviuosly. Sometimes I twist and sometimes I don't. I have no set rules. It depends on need.

I may have solid and stranded, or different sizes, or I may not be able to hold the tips together.

marissa2

I pre-twist mostly because its the I learned many years ago, too many to really say, and I will always pre-twist until I give up this crazey trade. What it really comes down to is we do it the way we were told to or learned in some type of school. If it works for you, great, no matter what is said here people will not change pre-twisting or the type of box they use, they all work and are code legal. I hope I didn'n step on anybodies toes with this statement, but when I teach code classes and this comes up I tell the students the way I do and why, but out in the field to listen to there boss.
Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.