Three TV's blow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Very strange, here's what happened. I'm working in a deli that's trying to open up. Stainless steel counter, wiremold above, the kind that is the width of the devices. I'm troubleshooting a switch over switch, one pole is not working. The bare ground shorts to the hot screw while I'm working it and the breaker trips. I thought I heard some other little "pop" when the breaker tripped. The backsplash is not in contact with the wiremold but the sink backsplash is higher and is in contact with the wiremold. The owner had the usb cable that plugs into his keyboard laying on the counter. The other end was plugged into the computer and there was another computer cable to the tv's that were being used for the menu board. The computer went into safe mode, the tv's blew. We didn't see it for a while then the owner saw a burn mark on the counter and on the usb cable that was touching it. The TV guy came and all three main boards are toast. I told him this wasn't my fault as it seems like a freak thing to me, but I think he will be looking for a discount on the bill. He's a nice guy so I think we will work it out. Anyone ever have something like this happen?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would grin and bear the loss. You know that you made a mistake.
The high current through the grounded metal and EGCs could easily have elevated the TV cable or other wiring with respect to the neutral and to ground. The resulting relatively high voltage coming into the TV circuitry on a pin that was expected to be grounded could cause all sorts of damage. In many case a fault on one board can then blow other things in the same TV.
I assume that the TVs have cable connections, even if they are just a common antenna.
Now there is a slight possibility that if the TV installer had made all of his ground connections properly the damage might not have happened, but that would be hard to prove.
Better to accept it and keep on good terms with your customer. Maybe do a deal for only part of the cost to repair or replace the TVs. And then, see if he will pay you to check out the grounding of the TV installation. :)
Like maybe the cable installer drove a ground rod instead of connecting to the building EGC/GES like he should have. That would explain a lot of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.