How do you calculate kva for unbalanced loads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orr263

Is there a formula for calculating kva on unbalanced 3 phase loads when amperage and voltage are known?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you need a precise answer, the math is very long and involved. If you want an answer that is good enough for most real situations, then use the average of the three amp readings as though the system were balanced at that value.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you need a precise answer, the math is very long and involved. If you want an answer that is good enough for most real situations, then use the average of the three amp readings as though the system were balanced at that value.
However, the highest amperage must be carried by less than the entire system, so must be considered.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
...less than the entire system, or simply by the system?
What I so poorly related is that the phase conductor with the highest load current controls the ampacity requirements. The closer to balance, the less overbuilding required for a given kva.

In more other words, the entire system does not equally share an imbalanced polyphase load. Part will see less than 1/3 of the total kva, and part will see more than 1/3 of the total kva.

Is that any better?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What I so poorly related is that the phase conductor with the highest load current controls the ampacity requirements. The closer to balance, the less overbuilding required for a given kva.

In more other words, the entire system does not equally share an imbalanced polyphase load. Part will see less than 1/3 of the total kva, and part will see more than 1/3 of the total kva.

Is that any better?

Works for me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.