Panelboard fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Does anyone know of a fan that will mount onto the can of a panelboard in order to help keep the panel cool? Does anyone make such a device and is it legal to install?

iwire

Staff member
There is no need to fan cool a panelboard that is being used correctly.

If a panelboard is in need of a fan to cool it something is wrong.

Electron_Sam78

Yes something is very wrong! I need a band-aid until I can correct the situation permanently. See here for reference: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=114964

at the above linked discussion scroll down for pics near then end. I must warn you it aint perty

Power Tech

At the brick plant we installed air conditioners on some. You go outside to cool off and look at the temp outside and it is 110 F. So hot you would not believe. On the top of the kiln your boots will melt.

Electron_Sam78

At the brick plant we installed air conditioners on some. You go outside to cool off and look at the temp outside and it is 110 F. So hot you would not believe. On the top of the kiln your boots will melt.

It's about that hot in the panel sheds without the overheating of the panels. It was about 95 degrees here today and that was without the humidity :-o~ yuck

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was in an attic once where my Kleins were literally too hot to hold without gloves.

We were in there installing a gable vent fan, naturally.

I placed a floor fan below the hole to blow AC'ed air up. It could have been worse.

iwire

Staff member
Yes something is very wrong! I need a band-aid until I can correct the situation permanently. See here for reference: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=114964

at the above linked discussion scroll down for pics near then end. I must warn you it aint perty

I would not be putting a band aid on that mess.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3399&d=1245289801

I might consider a fan for the shed it is locate in.

Again that suggests that the panel is not being used per it's listing. Breakers have ambient temp limitations.

I assume you mean air conditioners designed for electrical enclosures? At least with those they do not drag in dust and humidity from the environment.

On the other hands fans, even with filters will pull a lot of dust and moisture into the panel which will kill the panel.

Power Tech said:
It's about that hot in the panel sheds without the overheating of the panels. It was about 95 degrees here today and that was without the humidity :-o~ yuck

As I mentioned, you don't want fans forcing that humidity through a panel, it will turn it to junk in no time.

Replace that mess and ventilate the dog house it is in. :smile:

Electron_Sam78

They've got a fan blowing on the panel (top right in the pic - you can't see it but it's what the SO cord is going to) So the best thing until the panel is replaced or the circuits are split would be to reposition the existing fan to ventilate the shed?

My goal is to get this all repaired but it probably won't be for a number of months.

Power Tech

I would not be putting a band aid on that mess.

http://forums.mikeholt.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3399&d=1245289801

I might consider a fan for the shed it is locate in.

Again that suggests that the panel is not being used per it's listing. Breakers have ambient temp limitations.

I assume you mean air conditioners designed for electrical enclosures? At least with those they do not drag in dust and humidity from the environment.

On the other hands fans, even with filters will pull a lot of dust and moisture into the panel which will kill the panel.

As I mentioned, you don't want fans forcing that humidity through a panel, it will turn it to junk in no time.

Replace that mess and ventilate the dog house it is in. :smile:

The A/C's we used were for electrical enclosures.
We put fans in the top corner, blowing out on too many enclosures to count. In the bottom we installed filters. So much dust, heat, humidity. The most extreme condition I have seen yet. Just a miserable place to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.