Cutting holes in panel covers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

Is it legal according to the NEC to cut a hole on a CB panel cover for a receptacle? Someone wants me to do that but I said I didn't think it could be done. If anything it would be a listing issue right?

nakulak

bad move.

I spent an hour or two with square D tech support the other day ordering a new deadfront (inspector demanded) because some clown put 34 spaces in a 32 space panel.

I'm no expert but I don't see how you could do it without violating the ul listing of the cover.

peter

If you look at the Code for what it is, it is really a safety device. However, much of any such wording is impractical or irrelevant in certain situations.
In this case, you could figure any modification, at all, to a mechanically produced part violates the listing and is therefore taboo. However, we routinely punch our own holes in panels and boxes.
So the thing to do is ask yourself: "Is this compromising safety?" The hole you punch is the right size and in the appropriate location. Better, in fact, than what the factory can do.
Now you mention that this is for a recptacle. The Code is mainly concerned with making sure that there are no un-occupied holes and that the panel is not overloaded. Are you going to punch those two, semi-circular holes in the panel cover? I would suggest punching a big hole for the whole shibob and using a receptacle plate.
Or you could chicken out and just add an external handy box for the recept.
~Peter

wireguru

I dont think the panel cover is listed to hold a device.

also, how would you remove the panel cover with a receptacle in it? leave enough wire to reach to the floor? Of if you dont do it, maybe some genious handyman who knows nothing of electrical material beyond what is sold at homedepot will install a luminare disconnect (i think alot of people dont realize these are only good for 3 amps) so the cover can be unplugged.

Why do they even want this?

nakulak

Where did they find the two extra stabs? :-?

the extra breakers were removed before I got there, but the blanks didn't cover the spaces properly and you could see where the deadfront was cut (with a sawzall). I don't know what they had rigged up, but it was ugly looking and no blanks covered the spaces without ugly gaps (and I didn't get a chance to cut the blanks nice to fit before -oops, here's the inspector)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have seen panel covers with receptacles mounted to them from the factory, usually for temporary power, and RV pedestals, That being said though, I don't think cutting your own would be a good Idea.

Power Tech

bad move.

I spent an hour or two with square D tech support the other day ordering a new deadfront (inspector demanded) because some clown put 34 spaces in a 32 space panel.

I'm no expert but I don't see how you could do it without violating the ul listing of the cover.

There is no reason the inspector could not have accepted a piece of a 4s plate bolted on. If the thickness is 18 gage or thicker to handle any arc. I have found it best to not let inspectors push me around. No different than a KO seal or reducing washer.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
the extra breakers were removed before I got there, but the blanks didn't cover the spaces properly and you could see where the deadfront was cut (with a sawzall).
But, what did the breakers receive the power from? Did the bus have more spaces than the cover had slots?

PetrosA

While I think it would be cool to have a corner of the loadcenter with mounting means for a GFI and a KO hole in the cover, actually mounting the device to the cover would probably create a pretty nasty safety hazard. I wouldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.