Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EMT Strapping Code

EMT Strapping Code

Does anyone know the exact interpretation of the EMT Min strapping req. The code states EMT must be strapped with in 3' of boxes, panels, conduit bodies, etc. and every 10' there after. Does this mean you must have a strap within 3' of a set screw coupling?

Couplings are not terminations, so you don't need to support within 3'.

The 2008 NEC adds a requirement for support between two boxes, if 18" or less with no concentrics, support is not needed.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

but spec codes say otherwise, within ten inches of boxes. so there is a difference in spec(blueprint)codes and nec. so you would also need to check the blueprint, even though the nec says 3'

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyboys View Post
    but spec codes say otherwise, within ten inches of boxes. so there is a difference in spec(blueprint)codes and nec. so you would also need to check the blueprint, even though the nec says 3'
    Job specs can say anything. 10", 5", 8", 22.517".....

This one is confusing for me. I have failed inspections for not strapping EMT within 3' of a coupling. Was the EI wrong on this correction? I know strapping is req. within 3' of boxes and other termination points but is a coupling a "tubular termination"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Foelber View Post
    This one is confusing for me. I have failed inspections for not strapping EMT within 3' of a coupling. Was the EI wrong on this correction? I know strapping is req. within 3' of boxes and other termination points but is a coupling a "tubular termination"?
    Your fault for not demanding code number and reading it. Yes inspectors can be wrong. Or you might have a local code.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Foelber View Post
    This one is confusing for me. I have failed inspections for not strapping EMT within 3' of a coupling. Was the EI wrong on this correction?
    What code cycle?

The NEC used to require within 3 feet of a fitting.

The EI was wrong unless this was a long time ago. This is from the 1999 NEC:

Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Prior to what year was the 3' within fitting req?