Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobsite made extension cords

Jobsite made extension cords

I have been told that there is some code against making up your own extension cords on the job. does anyone have any reason that you couldnt make up a cord out of say 12-3 so cord and some male and female listed cord caps??
    The tail does NOT wag the dog.

What box are you going to use ?

Believe it or not, there is a male end, and a female end on a piece of SO cord by the way it lays naturally. If you make up cords by the bunch, you will notice that the Hot, Nuetral, and Ground have a natural fit one way, but extremely difficult the other way? Flip the ends, and it will be a piece of cake.
    Don't let fear be your guide!

I thought that it has something to do with an OSHA requirement for cords to have molded ends. I could be wrong. There was a time when all of the cords on the job site were made by the electricians.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I thought that it has something to do with an OSHA requirement for cords to have molded ends. I could be wrong. There was a time when all of the cords on the job site were made by the electricians.
    AND no flat cords were allowed (not sure anymore)
    Its
    Been
    Exciting
    Work

This may be to old.

OSHA Standard Interpretations 03/03/1992 - Contractor shop-made extension cords

In regard to electrical contractors assembling cord sets at construction sites, the practice is acceptable, provided the assembled cord sets are constructed in a manner equivalent to those that are factory-assembled and approved. (The same approach applies to the General Industry Electrical Standards. However, your question pertained to construction, so the remaining references are to Subpart K of Part 1926.) Criteria for determining whether shop-made cord sets meet existing electrical standards include:

1)All components must be approved for the purpose by a nationally recognized testing laboratory (1926.403(a)). Individual components must be compatible for use with the other components of the completed assembly.

2)The cord set must meet all applicable requirements of Subpart K. For example, the assembly must be marked appropriately (1926.403(g)); boxes intended for use in a permanent installation may not be used (1926.403(b)(1)(i)); cords must be connected to devices and fittings so as to provide strain relief (1926.405(g)(2)(iv)); cords passing through holes in enclosures must be protected by bushings or fittings designed for the purpose (1926.405(g)(2)(v) – fittings designed to fasten cables to metal boxes are not acceptable); and no grounded conductor shall be attached to any terminal or lead so as to reverse designated polarity (1926.404(a)(2)).

3)The cord set must be assembled by a qualified person.

4)The wiring of the completed assembly must be checked before the cord set is first used. For example, the following, or equivalent, tests should be performed:

(a) All equipment grounding conductors shall be tested for continuity and shall be electrically continuous.

(b) Each receptacle and attachment plug shall be tested for correct attachment of the equipment grounding conductor. The equipment grounding conductor shall be connected to its proper terminal.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyd View Post
    Believe it or not, there is a male end, and a female end on a piece of SO cord by the way it lays naturally. If you make up cords by the bunch, you will notice that the Hot, Nuetral, and Ground have a natural fit one way, but extremely difficult the other way? Flip the ends, and it will be a piece of cake.
    I believe it, once you remember that it becomes much easier to terminate.

Even when your just putting a cord on equipment it is worth checking to see if you have the right end of the cord that lines up with the male plug. :smile:

Quote Originally Posted by quogueelectric View Post
    I have been told that there is some code against making up your own extension cords on the job. does anyone have any reason that you couldnt make up a cord out of say 12-3 so cord and some male and female listed cord caps??

Im thinking because the completed cord would not be a UL listed assembly is the reason. Even though the individual components where. Im glad I dont live where inpectors enforce this level of nonsense.
    "Mule"

Yes, Im stubborn as a mule..that's why,
    I'm a "Has Been" that "Never Was"
    :D

It is permitted to make up extension cords for the construction site(s). It is also permitted to make limited repairs to extension cords as well.

As you can see in Bob's post, there are guidelines that OSHA has you to follow. It is not hard to do, as long as you are using listed parts and the proper cords.

There may be local restrictions, that would be my only guess as to why some say it is not permitted.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyd View Post
    I never noticed! I'm gonna have to start looking for it now when I make up cord ends!