Bypass meter-sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

I was viewing a thread by goldstar "residential meter enclosure" to where the socket permitted a "bypass" of current. My question was do you run in this requirement for bypass meter-sockets? I have limited experience with these. I can not think of the manufacturer's name at the moment, but the couple I have seen had the small pull lever on them. What install sitiuations require these type sockets? Thanks!!:smile:

iwire

Staff member
In my area the power companies require lever bypass sockets for non-dwelling services.

With the meter in the bypass mode you can not put the cover on it.

cschmid

here it is the same on all non residential properties. it is so the POCO can remove the meter for service without a interuption of power. I believe it can also damage the meter if it has to big of load on it when removing the meter or inserting the meter.

Flex

I remember the 1st time I came across those. We were changing the cable from the meter to the panel. My partner thought the handle was just to get the meter out easier. I was checking out that handle when he was about to cut the old cable. Told him to wait maybe we should check voltage 1st. Lucky for him.

ItsHot

So as you have stated, their purpose is for the poco to do maintenance. Makes sense to me. Meter upgrades, you would not have to go on a main breaker/ disconnect hunt!And you do not have to disturb the load. As goldstar was saying in his thread, "he has never seen one in a residential install. I can't recall seeing one. Thanks for your response! Be careful out there!!:smile:

ItsHot

I remember the 1st time I came across those. We were changing the cable from the meter to the panel. My partner thought the handle was just to get the meter out easier. I was checking out that handle when he was about to cut the old cable. Told him to wait maybe we should check voltage 1st. Lucky for him.
I first saw one at the supply house years ago! The lever looks to be a leverage device to ease the meter out!!:-?

iwire

Staff member
I first saw one at the supply house years ago! The lever looks to be a leverage device to ease the meter out!!:-?

When you lift the bypass handle it opens the jaws clamping the meter in so it comes out easily if it did not fall out by itself.

Power Tech

here it is the same on all non residential properties. it is so the POCO can remove the meter for service without a interuption of power. I believe it can also damage the meter if it has to big of load on it when removing the meter or inserting the meter.

A meter should never be pulled with a load. It is dangerous and damaging. It creates a "flash" which will heat the jaws, ruin the temper, and melt the meter spade. Lines should not be cut with the meter in or a load also.

ElectricianJeff

So as you have stated, their purpose is for the poco to do maintenance. Makes sense to me. Meter upgrades, you would not have to go on a main breaker/ disconnect hunt!And you do not have to disturb the load. As goldstar was saying in his thread, "he has never seen one in a residential install. I can't recall seeing one. Thanks for your response! Be careful out there!!:smile:

I installed a 320 amp service in a new home about 3 years ago. The enclosure had the bypass. I believe it was a Milbank enclosure.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
In my Metro Area, the PoCo has required the use of lever bypass in both residential and commercial for over a decade.

The lever is available only after the seal is cut and the cover is off (ringless socket). One raises the lever, the line to load is "jumpered", and at the same time, the squeeze on the meter blades is relaxed.

One cannot replace the cover of the socket without returning the lever to the non-bypass position. There are labels warning about not breaking the load, so, one isn't "supposed" to use the lever bypass to interrupt load.

The PoCo supplies us with a list of manufacturers and model numbers that are approved for connection to the PoCo.

As I noted in the other thread, a PoCo rep explained, back in the '90s, that the increased liability in residential presented by information systems losing data when the meter was serviced was what was driving the change. The PoCo chose to require the bypasses rather than schedule the meter servicing with individual customers. They can schedule meter servicing, unlike outages that are beyond control.

gotmud

The power companies arond here are the ones who require them....They got tired of people *complaining* to them that their computers were shut off when they came for a repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.