Conduit fill for USE-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
use-2 wire

use-2 wire

My application is not a service entrance conductor.
I'm using this wire from the transfer switch to the hydro system that is 650 feet away.
This whole system is up in the mountains where there is a lot of moisture. Previously this hydro was wired with use-2 just direct buried 24" deep in the ground. Later on lots of landscaping and digging projects happened in the area and the wire now has lots of nicks and a couple breaks. It sat that way now for about 10 years now. So when i opened the junction box by the hydros, i had water dripping right out of the wire. So now i'm changing out the wire and going to install it in RNC so it would keep out the water and protect it from physical damage.(Depends on how big of a backhoe the landscapers use).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... So now i'm changing out the wire and going to install it in RNC so it would keep out the water and protect it from physical damage.(Depends on how big of a backhoe the landscapers use).
The RNC will provide some physical protection, but it won't be dry inside the conduit. The conduit will fill with water unless it is run so that the water can drain out.

As far as the conduit size, just get the dimensions of the conductors you are using and do your own fill calculation. As noted by others, unless the conductors you are using are dual rated as one of the conductor types in Table 310.13, the USE is not permitted to extend into any building. It must terminate at equipment or a junction box that is exterior to the buildings.

Last edited:
So is it a code violation on what i did before.
I had a meter 40' from the cabin. Part of the cabin had an overhang and that's were my panel was. I had a riser at the panel and at the meter. The USE-2 went from the meter down through the ground but then it went into the panels riser which is in the house for about 2.5'. The inspector passed it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So is it a code violation on what i did before.
I had a meter 40' from the cabin. Part of the cabin had an overhang and that's were my panel was. I had a riser at the panel and at the meter. The USE-2 went from the meter down through the ground but then it went into the panels riser which is in the house for about 2.5'. The inspector passed it.
If it was USE - 2 it was probably okay because it is dual rated. Now if this was not a listed wire in Chapter 3 then it may have been a violation. As Bob said all the use-2 cables that are around today are listed for use inside a building.

dana1028

How do i have to do coduit fill for a wire thats not in the table 5 of chapter 9.
The wire is 4/0 USE-2. There is no such wire in the table 5.

USE-2 is not a wire, it is a cable - Chap. 9, Note 9 describes how to determine the area of a cable.

RE: "Conductors marked only USE * are not allowed to be brought inside a building..."

I know I'm going to get an argument, however, there is nothing in the code that says you cannot bring USE into a building...the code says USE shall not be used for interior wiring.

UL 2008 White Book - Service Cable [TXKT] ..."USE & USE-2 are not suitable for use in premises or aboveground except to terminate at the service equipment..."

As a building inspector I believe I would allow someone to install 2-1/2 ft. of USE-2 inside a raceway terminating in service equipment inside a structure; if anyone were to question me I would show them the UL White Book and let them argue until they were blue in the face...bottom line, the permit card gets signed.

iwire

Staff member
If it was USE - 2 it was probably okay because it is dual rated. Now if this was not a listed wire in Chapter 3 then it may have been a violation. As Bob said all the use-2 cables that are around today are listed for use inside a building.

Whoa if I said that or implied that I did not mean to. :smile: The stuff I have been getting have been duul rated USE / RHW but when I order that is what I specifically ask for.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Whoa if I said that or implied that I did not mean to. :smile: The stuff I have been getting have been duul rated USE / RHW but when I order that is what I specifically ask for.

No you didn't say that. I meant to say that "all the USE-2 around here is dual rated as Bob mentioned". That is what the suppliers sell. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that all USE-2 is dual rated but I did think it was the norm not the exception.

dana1028

Huh? :-?

Single conductor 'cable'?

The type of USE I use is one conductor, I have never heard it called cable.

http://www.cerrowire.com/default.aspx?id=24

This one happens to be dual rated USE / RHW so it can be brought inside no matter how one interprets interior wiring.:smile:

Sorry - I was looking at Art. 338 - Service Entrance Cable - types SE & USE. Gotta admit, we don't use that around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.