Cord on gas water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is it permissible to install a cord & plug for the 120 v to the ignitor on a gas instant hotwater heater ?

SEO

Many gas waterheaters come from the factory with a cord. Section 422.16 (A) permits it if the appliance meets the requirements of (1) or (2).

Typically the gas water heater is plumbed in using pipe, for both the gas and the water.
That would negate the need for (1)- facilitating frequent interchange; or noise/vibration.
Number (2) would also seem to be a remote reason for use of cord installation.

If the unit comes with installation instruction identifying the installation of a cord, I would say yes. If it does not have these instructions/identification, I would say no.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Typically the gas water heater is plumbed in using pipe, for both the gas and the water.
That would negate the need for (1)- facilitating frequent interchange; or noise/vibration.
Number (2) would also seem to be a remote reason for use of cord installation.

If the unit comes with installation instruction identifying the installation of a cord, I would say yes. If it does not have these instructions/identification, I would say no.

Are you saying that if the unit install instructions allows for install with a cord the install doesn't have to be a type indicated in 422.16(A)(1)or(2)? or 400.7 (6),(7),or (8)

Because I disagree..... On the other hand "facilitating frequent interchange" is an AHJ judgement call so it doesn't much matter.

Are you saying that if the unit install instructions allows for install with a cord the install doesn't have to be a type indicated in 422.16(A)(1)or(2)? or 400.7 (6),(7),or (8)

Because I disagree..... On the other hand "facilitating frequent interchange" is an AHJ judgement call so it doesn't much matter.

Yes, that is what I am saying.
(I would bet though, that one would probably not see instructions for cord installation for hard piped units)

I agree.

You disagree with me? Get behind a long list of others. :)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Yes, that is what I am saying.
(I would bet though, that one would probably not see instructions for cord installation for hard piped units)

I agree.

You disagree with me? Get behind a long list of others. :)

Instructions that come with an appliance, that allow an option such as cord, don't allow you to violate the NEC....

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Typically the gas water heater is plumbed in using pipe, for both the gas and the water. That would negate the need for (1)- facilitating frequent interchange; or noise/vibration.
I can tell you that noise/vibration can be a problem. I have a gas on-demand water heater on the side my house. I first installed it outside the office and hard piped the gas, water and electricity. The noise was quite noticeable and rather annoying. I ended up having to move it, so when I remounted it I used vibration isolators and flexible connections for the gas, water and electric (FMC). It was a big improvement.

Cheers, Wayne

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
I never really understood why the heck you can't just run cord to these kind of appliances. Its good enough for every other appliance in the house.

I have some doubts about the rules on cords... that being said I can trust what I've been told about the deterioration of cords over time. Perhaps that's why something like a water heater can't usually have a cord... The WH could sit for many years without anyone ever looking at it.... never would see a cord falling apart.

Instructions that come with an appliance, that allow an option such as cord, don't allow you to violate the NEC....

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:

You may want to read 400.7(A)(8).

If a manufacturer does have installation instructions for permission to install a cord, there is usually a listing/labeling that has been part of the NRTL process.
With that said, I would approve an installation with a cord if the instructions permitted it.

Again, I have never seen such instructions or a cord installed unit, but I work in a small jurisdiction relative to the USA. ;)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
You may want to read 400.7(A)(8).

If a manufacturer does have installation instructions for permission to install a cord, there is usually a listing/labeling that has been part of the NRTL process.
With that said, I would approve an installation with a cord if the instructions permitted it.

Again, I have never seen such instructions or a cord installed unit, but I work in a small jurisdiction relative to the USA. ;)

I read it. Being listed for cords isn't the only requirement. 400.7(A)(8) first say cords can be used for "Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair..."

My point is that, IMO ,being listed as "cords are OK" isn't enough... it also has to be allowed by the CODE.

If, if the instructions of an NRTL unit provide for a cord, then 400.7,; 110.3(B), and the Standard(s) the unit is built and tested to would be good for me. Making it a code compliant install.

There are plenty if items in our industry that I do not like, but if the Codes/Standards allow for it, so be it.

As much as I stand behind and inspect to the code(s), some really make no sense to me at all.
Why do we install a second ground rod? Where is the real proof it is necessary? What does a second ground rod perform...other than satisfy the requirement?

(do you like the way I have shifted the thread to another topic? :roll:)

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I never really understood why the heck you can't just run cord to these kind of appliances. Its good enough for every other appliance in the house.

I like to hardwire when I can but you make a good point. I am sure not many unplug/ plug in their 50 amp range frequently. Lets not cord and plug a 5 amp blower motor???

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have some doubts about the rules on cords... that being said I can trust what I've been told about the deterioration of cords over time. Perhaps that's why something like a water heater can't usually have a cord... The WH could sit for many years without anyone ever looking at it.... never would see a cord falling apart.

How many people don't look behind their stove, dryer, washing machine, etc for 10 years or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.