Mice eating wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

rclacey

Hi everyone...
i've got an old farmhouse i'm working on getting fixed up...
i am probably going to end up rewiring the whole thing as almost half of it is being stripped down to the framing (i'm hoping they keep going and open the whole thing up) As anyone could imagine i've found some awful electrical (some old and some pretty recent) I've also run into a few places the mice have eaten through the old romex. Mice love the stuff, Right?

I've almost got the homeowner talked into rewiring everything which would make me sleep better at night, and her as well... but we have to assume that the mice are going to find their way back in, and chew up the new wiring, eventually. If it was my house i'd use MC but that's not in the budget here.

What can I do to assure the homeowner will not have mice chewing her wiring?

Don't they make a thing that plugs in and sends frequences though the wiring
that repels mice?
Or tell her to get a cat?

I don't know...
Thanks for your input
Ryan

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Put her in touch with an exterminator and encourage her to sign up for regular treatments for rodents.

satcom

that repels mice?
Use Bx, the only thing the freq devices get rid of is your money.

nhfire77

Two cats, they will work in shifts until there isn't a single mouse left. :grin:

I have two in my barn, no rodents for 300' far as I've seen, and the cats look happy.

nakulak

I thought you said it was a barn. tell them it doesn't need electric (or plumbing either for that matter) in fact, it doesn't even need to be fixed up. wat till its sawdust, then just build a new one.

Buck Parrish

Hi everyone...
i've got an old farmhouse i'm working on getting fixed up...
i am probably going to end up rewiring the whole thing as almost half of it is being stripped down to the framing (i'm hoping they keep going and open the whole thing up) As anyone could imagine i've found some awful electrical (some old and some pretty recent) I've also run into a few places the mice have eaten through the old romex. Mice love the stuff, Right?

I've almost got the homeowner talked into rewiring everything which would make me sleep better at night, and her as well... but we have to assume that the mice are going to find their way back in, and chew up the new wiring, eventually. If it was my house i'd use MC but that's not in the budget here.

that repels mice?

I don't know...
Thanks for your input
Ryan

Ryan,
I have lots of expierence with chewed wires. Almost always it has been squirells that chewed the wiring. Even on new homes with new romex. Ussually the chewing occured nearest their point of entry or in the attic.
After I made my repairs I paint the outside of the romex with liquid tape. Not the whole cable. Just enough to get a little on it. The squirless or mice will not touch it when that stuff is on the wire. It has a chemical smell to it.
But do talk them in to re-wiring the place. Esspecially if the walls are all ready opened.
Good Luck

Last edited:

JWCELECTRIC

Use romex in the walls, the chances are slim the mice will get in there if they are sealed up tight enough. Then use MC in the attic areas or keep all wiring off the attic joists/flooring and keep jboxes up high on the rafters. Unless you have high wire jumping/flipping/eating super mice.

satcom

Ryan,
I have lots of expierence with chewed wires. Almost always it has been squirells that chewed the wiring. Even on new homes with new romex. Ussually the chewing occured nearest their point of entry or in the attic.
After I made my repairs I paint the outside of the romex with liquid tape. Not the whole cable. Just enough to get a little on it. The squirless or mice will not touch it when that stuff is on the wire. It has a chemical smell to it.
But do talk them in to re-wiring the place. Esspecially if the walls are all ready opened.
Good Luck

I agree, squrells usually do most of the damage, NM is the bottom of the line choice for wiring, it is popular because the price is right, AC or MC is a better choice, but cost is usually what helps make the choice.

macmikeman

So then, out here in the middle of nowhere, we don't have any squirrels. But we do have rats. And them rats get mighty hungry for romex at times. Never saw any of the real old creosote covered 1st generation non mettalic cables with gnaw marks on it, so maybe them old timers were on to something. I have seen some really bad rat chew cases in my career.

charlietuna

I lived in a house in Hawaii when in the service and one day i opened the scuttle hatch and turned on my flashlight and i couldn't believe how much bare copper was exposed!! Never saw a squrrel while living there? I had trouble sleeping for the next few nights. I think the rats or mice use the paper for making nests...

Status
Not open for further replies.