Requirements to do electrical wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randys

I know I read it somewhere that in order to do electrical work, a person had to be registered in an approved apprenticeship program AND had to have a licensed journeyman electrician on the site for supervisory purposes. Where is this citation from? Local ordinances? Where would I find this requirement?

randys

Thank you for the link

Thank you for the link

There is a reference in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) concerning APPROVED apprenticeship programs. I'll keep looking for the citation that states an apprentice in an state-approved apprenticeship program MUST have a licensed electrical journeyman AT the site before such apprentice is allowed to do any electrical work. A person who is a Master Electrician would definitely fulfill this requirement.
I thank you Mr. Larry Fine, Master Electrician from Virginia!!!

Last edited:

ray cyr

What you are looking for is in the Washington Administrative Code (WAC), Chapter 296-46B. You do not have to be in an approved apprenticeship program but you do need to have an apprentice card and work with a certified journeyman. Look in the electrical area of the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries webpage for the appropriate requirements.
Good luck and Be Safe :smile:

Cavie

IN the good ol' boy State of Florida, all you need is a pair of Klines and a screwdriver. A drivers license and a car might be helpfull. Journeymen need not apply.

dezwitinc

Florida

Florida

IN the good ol' boy State of Florida, all you need is a pair of Klines and a screwdriver. A drivers license and a car might be helpfull. Journeymen need not apply.
That's a very cynical reply Cavie, but it speaks the truth about good ole' Florida.
Even a pair of slipjoint pliers can get you a job if you will work cheaply enough.
Amazing how many engineers we have here from the islands.

Last edited:

e57

I know I read it somewhere that in order to do electrical work, a person had to be registered in an approved apprenticeship program AND had to have a licensed journeyman electrician on the site for supervisory purposes. Where is this citation from? Local ordinances? Where would I find this requirement?
You may have been looking at the recent threads on California - as you word it - it would seem so....

I love state licencing it holds hacks accountable and rids the world of the good old boy network.
I beg to differ - hacks are everywhere, most laws do nothing to the hack unlicensed/uncertified, and there a good many hacks that can read well enough to to take an open book test. (In CA at least) And most of the "approved programs" you need to KNOW someone.... In many of those "approved programs" they turn away thousands to protect the artificially inflated wages of the initiated - who "knew" someone... It's the reinvention of the good 'ole boy network - legislate yourself into the only group who can work - by law.

ItsHot

illegals?

illegals?

I have seen just about anyone doing electrical work. There has been times when the big AHJ would come along and all the "electricians" roping a house would run off down in the woods!! :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.