Splicing service conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

davec

I'm installing a 17kw generator with 200 amp transfer switch and 200 amp service. The layout of the house does not allow me to mount the transfer in a location such that the service conductors can reach the switch. Pulling a new cable is an option, but because of the placement of the meter, this will be a great deal of work requiring the town to turn off the power. I'm considering splicing the service conductors. I haven't found anything in the code the specifically disallows this. My question is, does the NEC allow splicing service conductors? More to the point, can I put a splice box between the meter and the transfer switch?

speedystevie

Even if the junction was on the feed side you should be able to do this. The poco may require a poco lock or tag on the box if on the feeder side.

Otherwise you should have no problem doing this on the load side.

hardworkingstiff

This seems to be an odd situation. You can install a JB between the meterbase and the transfer switch, but you can't install new conductors from the meterbase to the transfer switch?

Very strange.

davec

The wire from the meter base is to short to reach the transfer switch. The problem is removing the wire from the meter and installing a new one that will reach the transfer switch. I plan to use the existing wire from the meter, take it to the splice box, then run a wire from the splice box to the transfer switch.

DaveC

davec

It's possible but very difficult. The wire makes odd angles through the sill plate and it's going to be difficult to push a new wire to the meter. It can be done but I was looking for a simpler alternative.

ceb58

This seems to be an odd situation. You can install a JB between the meterbase and the transfer switch, but you can't install new conductors from the meterbase to the transfer switch?

Very strange.

A little more info. is needed. Are you saying you will remove the service wire in the panel then do a junction box and into transfer switch and then go back to panel? Is transfer switch service rated?

davec

My plan is to run the wire from the meter into the junction box, then run a wire from the junction box into transfer switch and then a wire from the transfer switch back to the panel. The transfer switch is properly rated, 200 amp transfer switch, 200 amp service.

DaveC

speedystevie

The simple way is most of the time not the right way. Can it be done with a J-box? Yes, no question. I would shoot for replacing the service lateral if posible with some sweat and greese.

ultramegabob

Pulling a new cable is an option, but because of the placement of the meter, this will be a great deal of work requiring the town to turn off the power.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, this really sounds flaky, are you planning on working on installing this transfer switch and making a splice hot?? so what if they have to turn off power, make the call and have them shut it off, and do the job the right way and work safe..... your not just trying to avoid pulling a permit for the job are you?

ceb58

My plan is to run the wire from the meter into the junction box, then run a wire from the junction box into transfer switch and then a wire from the transfer switch back to the panel. The transfer switch is properly rated, 200 amp transfer switch, 200 amp service.

DaveC

Sorry Dave, but there is a difference between a service rated transfer switch and a transfer switch that is rated for 200amps. If the transfer switch doesn't have OCP built in then instead of a JB you would need to set a fusible disconnect. Then go to the transfer switch and back to the panel. Also dont forget the disconnect from the gen.

hardworkingstiff

The layout of the house does not allow me to mount the transfer in a location such that the service conductors can reach the switch. Pulling a new cable is an option, but because of the placement of the meter, this will be a great deal of work requiring the town to turn off the power.

I still don't understand why pulling a new cable from the meterbase to the service disconnect requires the town to turn off the power. Why can't you just pull the meter?

ultramegabob

I still don't understand why pulling a new cable from the meterbase to the service disconnect requires the town to turn off the power. Why can't you just pull the meter?

I may be wrong, but I dont think he means the town has to be shut down, the "town" probably has thier own utility company and has to be contacted to turn power off to the building.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer

I'm sure I don't want to be landing a piece of 4/0 SEU in the lower lugs on a meter can with the upper jaws hot. Maybe that's just me.

Mark

Sharpie

I decided to land 4/0 on the bottom lugs of a meter base with the top still hot. That proved to be stupid. ONE strand of my neutr/ground got away from me and caused quite the bang. I had to walk away and calm myself. Fortunately I was wearing my gloves and glasses, or I would have had to go to the doctor in the least.

(please don't tell my wife. She'll make me get a desk job)

Turn the power off.

delfadelfa

I had this same problem. Service cable came out of the socket and 90'ed right into the sill. only about 6" of cable showing on the outside of the house. I pulled the meter, put a rubber boot over the top lugs, riped out the old cable, mounted the ATS on the outside of the building and refed everything.
I never thought about splicing the service cable but that would of worked too, and then I could of mounted the ATS on the inside of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.