New 200.8 (5-49)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

The panel revised Don's text into something that it was not intended to be. Would removing the word "multiwire" from the text fix the problem?

Neutral conductors shall not be permitted to be used for more than one branch circuit or for more than one set of ungrounded feeder conductors unless specifically permitted elsewhere in this Code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ryan,
I don't think so. I think they need to accept a definition of common neutral (proposal 5-7) for Article 100 and use my proposed language for 200.8. I am submitting a comment for the definition with the following revised wording:
Common Neutral: A neutral conductor used in circuits with two or more ungrounded conductors having no potential between them.
The original wording in proposal 5-7 was:
[FONT=&quot]Common Neutral. A neutral conductor used in a circuit with two or more ungrounded conductors having no potential between them. [/FONT]
I am also submitting a comment for 200.8 to have them use my proposed wording.
I don't think that your wording makes it clear that you can't use a "common neutral" with more than one ungrounded conductor of the same phase or leg. That issue is really the purpose of my two proposals.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So this proposal is to counter the argument that you can use 225.7(B) for more than outdoor lighting?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So this proposal is to counter the argument that you can use 225.7(B) for more than outdoor lighting?
Rob,
It is to get the code making panel to take a stand on the issue of using an oversized neutral with more than one ungrounded conductor of the same phase or leg. It is also to counter the idea that a specific permission like that found in 225.7(B) can act as a prohibition on other uses. It is the CMPs position that the permission found in this section acts to prohibit all other uses of a "common neutral'.

ryan_618

Don: If a neutral conductor is prohibited from supplying more than one branch circuit, doesn't that get you there? Remembering, of course, that a MWBC is a single circuit.

Edited for spelling after receiving much ridcule. :D :D :D

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ryan,
What says that two ungrounded conductors of the same leg or phase along with a single grounded conductor is more than one circuit? (sorry for the delay...awol for a few days)

Status
Not open for further replies.