Isolated/Common Neutral/Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Hello,

I have some cubicle-style furniture and the power connection is confusing me... it is designed for 4 circuits and the wiring harness has 8 conductors, labelled as follows:
Hot 1
Hot 2
Hot 3
Hot 4
Isolated Neutral
Common Neutral
Isolated Ground
Common Ground

The Hots are pretty obvious, but I'm confused about the differences between the Isolated/Common Neutral/Ground... any help would be appreciated! Thanks

MD88

Ohhhh, maybe! That's an interesting idea... why would they do that?? I would have guessed that 4 hots, 4 neutral (so, 4 independent circuits) and one ground would have been right.. it's office furniture receptacles, so I'd think that you'd want them all independent circuits.

cadpoint

Oh I ran into this on the last job the spec's never called for additional wire circuits to even address all these wires in the pre-made flex, its an over sell of the manufactures and mostly missed by the designer, take your pick.

Most computer savvy people like the split circuits and will ask and get the proper use out of the application. Unless your also getting into labs or health safety issues it's a lot of over kill, and not a requirement "per say" to average office equipment, in a cubical. IMO ...

wireguru

usually these are all pre made off the shelf harnesses and thats how they come. I have seen installs where there is only one circuit feeding it, and they just connected all of the neutrals and circuits in the furniture to the one circuit supplying it. Didnt need 4 circuits feeding 5 cubicles.

MD88

Haha, unfortunately the client is pretty sticky on 1 circuit per cubicle! So since 3 of the circuits are sharing a neutral, must these breakers be handle-tied?? I tried searching the forum and got even more confused... haha

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Haha, unfortunately the client is pretty sticky on 1 circuit per cubicle! So since 3 of the circuits are sharing a neutral, must these breakers be handle-tied?? I tried searching the forum and got even more confused... haha

605.6 or 605.7

Status
Not open for further replies.