Metal structure in proximity to High Voltage Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping to get a general feel for the grounding and bonding issues associated with a steel structure (carport) installation within 20 Feet of 60KV Lines. The 20' is in reference to horizontal distance. I used a laser and vertically spotted the closet line to the structure. For the record there are 3@ 12KV and 3 @ 60KV running through an easement on the property. The client wants to have some protection from the elements and is of the opinion that this structure can be deemed temporary where as a stick built structure can not. Only a temporary structure (or readily moveable) can be considered in the right of way/ easement. So I guess I"m asking
A) Is this even a good idea given the proximity to power lines
B) What type of special Bonding/Grounding should be considered. Slab is existing without a ufer but we can expose steel if necessary to bond to. Thanks in advance for all of your criticism and unmerciful comments :huh:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Check NESC, but I believe the 20' horizontal distance is just fine. I think it would work even at 138kV.

Proper grounding and bonding is necessary. Also may want to find out whats going in the building because sensitive electronic equipment could be suspect, but frankly the designers should have looked into that already.

Status
Not open for further replies.