Does this seem right

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian john

I ordered a 3000 amp ATS and Boltswitch, both came in with provisions for a total of 4 cables on line and load termination plates. We called the manufactures and were told the adaptor plates for additional conductors are available at an added cost. Since we did not spec them we were supplied the stock switches.

Seems there should be adequate spaces for termination of the minimum conductors on a 3000 amp switch? Wouldn't you think? The cost for the extra termination plates from the manufactures exceeds $6,500.00.

Oh and I have installed different manufactures 3000 amp equipment and NEVER had this issue.

Live and learn put this in your grey matter data base.

tkb

We have seen that most equipment seems to come without lugs on the larger equipment.

UPS', ATS' and some gear does not come with lugs anymore.

It keeps the equipment cost artificially low.
You have to add the cost for the terminations to your quote.

I just requested a quote for a 3000 amp 208v Bolt Switch.
How does it come for the terminations?
Is it a 4 hole buss bar?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Seems there should be adequate spaces for termination of the minimum conductors on a 3000 amp switch? Wouldn't you think? The cost for the extra termination plates from the manufactures exceeds $6,500.00.
I would think that specifying the quantity and size of conductors would have been part of the ordering process.

Suppose you threaten to return the equipment and re-order it right? The "re-stocking fee" might be less than the plates.

TxShocker

I would think that specifying the quantity and size of conductors would have been part of the ordering process.

Suppose you threaten to return the equipment and re-order it right? The "re-stocking fee" might be less than the plates.

Most restocking is 20 - 35%, so I do not think that would work.

bradleyelectric

I ordered a 3000 amp ATS and Boltswitch, both came in with provisions for a total of 4 cables on line and load termination plates. We called the manufactures and were told the adaptor plates for additional conductors are available at an added cost. Since we did not spec them we were supplied the stock switches.

Oh and I have installed different manufactures 3000 amp equipment and NEVER had this issue.

Seems the switch should come with term plates that would make the switch useable. Stock lug patteren has been what would be the min. amount of wires that the switch is rated for with the ability to have a different config if ordered that way. Did your sales guy just say your hosed?

220/221

I did a simiilar thing with a 1200 amp free standing service section once.

Turned out that it only included three 200A switches because that's all they needed for the first half of the strip center tennants.

The other 600 amps worth (an extra $3K) was in a separate section which would have to be added on later.

No big deal because that's what was specified. The bad news is that I mounted the service without leaving room for the additional section.:rolleyes:

Somebody, someday is gonna be unhappy because it's gonna stick out 2' into the driveway.

electricalperson

I did a simiilar thing with a 1200 amp free standing service section once.

Turned out that it only included three 200A switches because that's all they needed for the first half of the strip center tennants.

The other 600 amps worth (an extra $3K) was in a separate section which would have to be added on later.

No big deal because that's what was specified. The bad news is that I mounted the service without leaving room for the additional section.:rolleyes:

Somebody, someday is gonna be unhappy because it's gonna stick out 2' into the driveway.

hopefully you didnt leave a sticker with your name and number on there :grin:

jdsmith

I agree. Sounds sort of like a bait-and-switch. Something that they know very well you will need isn't included in the original price so you have to buy it later.

This just makes it that much harder to bid engineered equipment. Everyone quotes some exceptions to the spec and deviates on a couple items that they don't meniton in a clarification letter. Now it takes a significant amount of time for a technical bid evaluation and there's things like these lugs that the engineer has to catch because it throws off the price quite a bit.

masterinbama

All of the gear manufacturers are getting pretty lax in providing what they are supposed to.I recently took delivery of 6 1200 amp MCC's. The single line had the bucket layout specified to a tee. Not a single one out of the six were correct. I gave them a choice of sending one of their techs to rearrange the buckets or give me money back for one of my guys to do it. Granted had it been one or two I wouldn't have cared but it took their tech 2 days to do the work. The MCC's were pre wired to to a central terminal box which required extensive control wiring. That is one reason I tried to push the customer to go with Allen Bradly MCC's with the built in device net, that is some sweet equipment.

When you buy something without specification the onus is on you to investigate if it is:

• listed
  • all installation an design parameters are meeting your needs.
You can buy something by a specific catalog number or by a written specification. It seems to me that when you buy something of this magnitude, you would want it bid by several suppliers and evaluate which is the best that fits your application. Of course with the bid you should request complete details. That is the place and time when such shortcomings can be discovered.

Unfortunately it seems that you are stuck with it.....:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.