50a hottub

Status
Not open for further replies.

westelectric

Any ec's in Jersey? I'm an ec in NY. A friend of mine is installing a hottub outside on his patio in NJ. He is buying the material and everyone in the blue and orange stores are telling him #6 for 50amp. I thought thhn in pvc the whole way from the gfci in the main panel to the disco outside to the tub #8 is ok. Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#8 THHN in conduit is good for 50 amps if the terminations used are rated for 75 degrees C. Also you'll need to address the equipotential bonding requirements for the decking surface around the tub.

elohr46

Any ec's in Jersey? I'm an ec in NY. A friend of mine is installing a hottub outside on his patio in NJ. He is buying the material and everyone in the blue and orange stores are telling him #6 for 50amp. I thought thhn in pvc the whole way from the gfci in the main panel to the disco outside to the tub #8 is ok. Am I wrong? Thanks in advance.

I think your good with #8 but I would read the manufacture installation instructions before I do anything. They may require #6.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I will bet that the mfg. requires a #6 and I also would not be surprised if they required an egc the same size as the ungrounded conductors. If they don't then you could use NM cable inside the house but it would have to be #6.

The epb is the big issue. I would hate to see him have to tear up his patio. He really should get an ec to do this job.

Jim W in Tampa

I will bet that the mfg. requires a #6 and I also would not be surprised if they required an egc the same size as the ungrounded conductors. If they don't then you could use NM cable inside the house but it would have to be #6.

The epb is the big issue. I would hate to see him have to tear up his patio. He really should get an ec to do this job.

Ground must be green insulated

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ground must be green insulated
Not in the interior of a dwelling.

680.42(C) Interior Wiring to Outdoor Installations. In the interior of a one-family dwelling or in the interior of another building or structure associated with a one-family dwelling, any of the wiring methods recognized in Chapter 3 of this Code that contain a copper equipment grounding conductor that is insulated or enclosed within the outer sheath of the wiring method and not smaller than 12 AWG shall be permitted to be used for the connection to motor, heating, and control loads that are part of a self-contained spa or hot tub or a packaged spa or hot tub equipment assembly. Wiring to an underwater luminaire shall comply with 680.23 or 680.33.

Status
Not open for further replies.