Alternate to conduit chairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Do you even have to support 4" conduits in the dirt, telephone or other wise?

In a parking deck lowest floor in dirt under the slab to be below required miminum, this will be a single row of 6 - 4" in the dirt, is there anything other than chairs?

I don't want to even use kendorf and straps. This will not have a concrete incasement either.

Any suggestions ?

ultramegabob

most of the time I use crushed stone for backfill under a slab. nothing fancy, just make a somewhat smooth bed for the conduit to lay on, then cover it with more stone.

nakulak

sometimes we save old 3/4 and 1/2 emt just for that purpose (thats a waste of kendorf) chairs make nicer pictures tho

rt66electric

Do you even have to support 4" conduits in the dirt, telephone or other wise?

In a parking deck lowest floor in dirt under the slab to be below required miminum, this will be a single row of 6 - 4" in the dirt, is there anything other than chairs?

I don't want to even use kendorf and straps. This will not have a concrete incasement either.

Any suggestions ?

What's a kendorf??? supply houses around here can't even spell that !

masterinbama

Manufactured sand or flowable fill. I do not see the need for conduit chairs when concrete encasement is not required. Depending on your labor rates the amount of labor to properly compact a trench will far outweigh the cost of manufactured sand or flowable fill.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
A lot of Inspectors and Electricians (should be the same) feel that is a violation of 300.5(F) "sharply angular substances"

I almost posted this same response earlier, then read 300.(5) again. If the crushed rock is small enough, then IMO it would not contribute to this.

where materials may damage raceways,

dcspector

I almost posted this same response earlier, then read 300.(5) again. If the crushed rock is small enough, then IMO it would not contribute to this.

Chris I just threw that out there. The reasoning from others was due to mechanical compaction. I personnaly am silent on that one. I usually check specs for engineering requirements.....most of the time it is sand.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
most of the time it is sand.

Yeah, thats what I use, usually have some lying around.

Lifeskillsunderground12-5012.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.