Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is a Guy wire required?

When is a Guy wire required?

My question is for a 2" rigid service entrance mast through a roof that will support the weight of the 100' service drop.

Is the guy wire requirement decided by the weight it will support or the height of the mast? or neither?

I thought there was a certain height that required guy wires but 230.28 doesn't clarify.
    Dave

"Don't wire like my brother"

You might consider a call to the Local POCO, 100' seems a pretty long way, or maybe their requirements are on the I-net. I'll bet that you'll have to go with an additional pole.

I'd think they have calculations for their loops and wire gauges verses the service requirements. While we have to be a miminum above a structure, you'd have to add addition length to match their application.

Who owes the service drop, is it up to the weather head, or through the meter, it all varies to the POCO?!
    If your even thirsty, your two quarts low.

This is a Res. service I will be installing next week for my brother in Cocke County Tenn. He says they have no AHJ!

His poco is installing the meter on their pole, then overhead service drop 100Ft. to his building. They told him we don't even need a disconnect on the building as long as the service is back-to-back, which it is. I suggested we put one any way but big brother says "I don't need it, so I don't want it!"

As of now the length is 100 Ft. but the poco is considering installing another pole. (Waiting for decision)

The mast will be 2" rigid down to an LB & from the LB into the indoor Main Breaker panel. (No meter or disconnect on building)
    Weird... I never did that before!

He will probably be reading this thread... and I guess he will see my signature I've been using for years! :grin:
    Dave

"Don't wire like my brother"

I would bury it, if it were me.

100' is pretty far for an overhead drop, I would think you would need an additional pole in the center of the span or you will wind up with wire sagging too low when it gets hot outside. but to answer your question, around here we are required to guy off the mast if it is unsupported for 36" inches or more.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Quote Originally Posted by ultramegabob View Post
    100' is pretty far for an overhead drop, I would think you would need an additional pole in the center of the span or you will wind up with wire sagging too low when it gets hot outside. but to answer your question, around here we are required to guy off the mast if it is unsupported for 36" inches or more.
    Due to ice build up on the drop I am sure which is a great concern out here as well.
    Greg

Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital

POCOs are the ones to ask, the NEC does not specifically give measurements for the guy wire requirement. All of the POCOs here have measurements, each one is slightly different.

Our POCO will install a service drop up to 125ft from their pole to the building, before a private property pole is required.
    Instructor, Industry Advocate

poco's I work w/ require guy wire if the mast is 37" + above the roofline.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr. ©

I've seen over 100' for a center span tap on a 200 amp residential service which the POCO approved without any problem.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

do you need a guy wire

for experience what is the height of the point of attachment what are you crossing over as long as you keep the heght requirements of the service mast you dont need an extra pole