Recessed luminaries to be anything else but ic or non ic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello all.

Hired to put 4 or 6 high hats in.
The job will be inspected.
Been a few years since I installed high hats on an inspected job, but I vaguely remember something about "air tight" being mentioned at last ceu.

The high hats are going in a small one story cape so I will use IC.
Looking at 410 I see no mention of "air tight"

Am I in left field ??

Thank you.

Rich

ritelec

nope.. did an on line search and saw mention to 410-66 (which doesn't seem to be in the 2011 nec) which states what 410 X - 410.116 does.
the search mentioned to check with state energy codes, but I see nothing referencing to be air tight via nec.

electricalist

f i remember correctly we installed air tight cans when there was open attic above ceiling. The first floor of a 2 story house we didn't use air tight.. They had a gasket they you would stick on which would fall off in a day or so. I think it was more of an energy code.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
nope.. did an on line search and saw mention to 410-66 (which doesn't seem to be in the 2011 nec) which states what 410 X - 410.116 does.
the search mentioned to check with state energy codes, but I see nothing referencing to be air tight via nec.

I think that the rule can be found in the 2009 energy code, and it really depends on what your city or town is doing for enforcement.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Look on page 13 here...

Status
Not open for further replies.