Classification Useage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cv60abf

I am currently on a project where the client has spare instruments on his shelf that are listed for use in Class 1, Div 1 environments. The client, in order to save money on an upcoming project, he would like to use these "spares" for a Class 2, Div. 2 project. The question is :
Can Class 1, Div 1 items be used in a Class 2, Div 2 environment?:?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am currently on a project where the client has spare instruments on his shelf that are listed for use in Class 1, Div 1 environments. The client, in order to save money on an upcoming project, he would like to use these "spares" for a Class 2, Div. 2 project. The question is :
Can Class 1, Div 1 items be used in a Class 2, Div 2 environment?:?
Not unless they are also specifically identified for Class II. See Section 502.5.

It's possible you mean can Class I, Division 1 items be used in a Class I, Division 2? Then it's yes, but you will probably need to be careful about sealing.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Not unless they are also specifically identified for Class II. See Section 502.5.

It's possible you mean can Class I, Division 1 items be used in a Class I, Division 2? Then it's yes, but you will probably need to be careful about sealing.

I am not real familiar with C2D2 requirements but I seem to recall that instruments are only required to be contained in dust tight enclosures. I seem to recall that at least some are listed as being type 12, type 4X, etc, along with being listed as explosion proof. It would not hurt any to take a closer look.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am not real familiar with C2D2 requirements but I seem to recall that instruments are only required to be contained in dust tight enclosures. I seem to recall that at least some are listed as being type 12, type 4X, etc, along with being listed as explosion proof. It would not hurt any to take a closer look.
Good catch. In that case, identified in Section 502.5 is met by dustight in Section 502.10(B)(4).

Status
Not open for further replies.