Temperature/Condensation of Duplex Receptacle in 2-Gang Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am working on an application which uses two 120V, 20 amp duplex receptacles mounted in a 2-gang box. The temperature range can change from -30F to 130F relatively quickly. I am curious if there would be any condensation issues with this range, and whether it would be necessary to use a GFCI or something to address this or not. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

pkelectrical

When it comes to NEC i dont think there is a code that says what type of device you need to use other than regular 20 amp receptacle. From practical point of view I would use weather resistance receptacle.

cadpoint

Is this a test chamber? Is the product just plugged in and tested under these conditions?

Can you give us a little more information?

Seal off of conduits is required where adverse temperatures might be encountered.
Article 300.7

Sudo related, Article 310.7

kwired

Electron manager
GFCI is intended to protect people from shock/electrocution hazards.

If you don't have a condition mentioned in 210.8 or a few other specific locations that require GFCI, then GFCI is simply a design option not a requirement. If GFCI is not othewise required and you are concerned about moisture in general (outside the box) because of condensation making you have a wet location then GFCI is possibly something to consider for various reasons.

If you are only concerned about condensation within the box - GFCI doesn't really mean anything and certainly will not prevent condensation from happening, you need more concern with designing this setup so that it will drain away condensation - may be as simple as drilling a weep hole in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.