Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Frank Adam Electric Co circuit breakers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Ft Myers,FL
    Posts
    42

    Frank Adam Electric Co circuit breakers

    Approved replacement circuit breaker for "Frank Adam Electric Co"?
    This is a first for me. In 30 years I've never heard of this company.
    If an inspector is requiring the HO to install a separate circuit for the MW and you have a panel that is no longer manufactured and that there is quite possibly no more circuit breakers anywhere for that panel...what are your options? Replace the panel?
    It is evident that there is in the universe a certain definite amount of electricity. Electricity can neither be created nor destroyed.:confused:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by switchleg45 View Post
    Approved replacement circuit breaker for "Frank Adam Electric Co"?
    This is a first for me. In 30 years I've never heard of this company.
    If an inspector is requiring the HO to install a separate circuit for the MW and you have a panel that is no longer manufactured and that there is quite possibly no more circuit breakers anywhere for that panel...what are your options? Replace the panel?
    You can find them on ebay but I would not recommend ever buying a breaker off ebay unless you have the capability of testing it. Siemens makes a replacement breaker for Frank Adams breakers, thats your best bet.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    26,545
    Quote Originally Posted by switchleg45 View Post
    what are your options? Replace the panel?
    That's what I would do. If there is an unused dp breaker somewhere in there you may be able to use that to feed a sub panel and wire the MW from that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    5,909
    I have seen FA's in old factories. They give me the creeps. There are many still working quite well, though. At least while there are no faults.

    I always suggest replacement.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SE Idaho
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I have seen FA's in old factories. They give me the creeps. There are many still working quite well, though. At least while there are no faults.

    I always suggest replacement.
    (Bold added by me)

    Why? Other than a possibility of inadequate available fault current withstand capability, if it's working and has no signs of overheating, leave it alone!

    I service a movie theatre with Frank Adams gear that is over 70 years old and it still works fine.

    And we all know there is NOT ONE brand of modern breaker or gear out there that will STILL be functional 70+ years from now..
    Never fear, Slick is here.....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
    And we all know there is NOT ONE brand of modern breaker or gear out there that will STILL be functional 70+ years from now..
    You can say that again, they really don't make them like they used to. All this plastic junk these days wont last 10 years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    bay area, ca
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
    (Bold added by me)

    Why?
    Well, I dont know about you, but I work for the money.

    I always SUGGEST a panel replacement on a panel that is 40+ years old. I explain to my customers that replacing it is not an absolute need, and not an immediate safety hazard, but I tell them that breakers are mechanical devices, and its more likely that they could not work correctly when its safety function is needed. Also in such cases as a job I got late last week, the breakers that are out today have better tripping mechanisims than they had back then. I didnt, and dont ever pressure my customers, I explain them the advantages of leaving it be versus changing it out and let them decide. This time they wanted the pushmatic replaced, as well as the murray sub right around the corner replaced.

    ~Matt
    I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SE Idaho
    Posts
    1,370
    Matt, my point is that why go through the labor and downtime involved in replacement because "They give me the creeps." (The blanket "I ALWAYS suggest replacement" is another flag.)

    And as Zog noted,

    Quote Originally Posted by zog View Post
    <snip>Siemens makes a replacement breaker for Frank Adams breakers, thats your best bet.
    you can get replacement breakers from Siemens which takes care of your concern over mechanical reliability.

    IF, unlike FPE, there is no record of a latent hazard, then it is best left alone.

    I DO agree that when properly presented to the customer as you have posted, that SUGGESTING a replacement is not a bad thing.

    An analogy to my current line of work, would be for me to try to sell a cinema a new Christie film projector when their 1950's vintage Century projector is still running perfectly. You don't gain the trust of the customers with such tactics.
    Never fear, Slick is here.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    6,381
    Quote Originally Posted by mxslick View Post
    IF, unlike FPE, there is no record of a latent hazard, then it is best left alone.

    I DO agree that when properly presented to the customer as you have posted, that SUGGESTING a replacement is not a bad thing.

    An analogy to my current line of work, would be for me to try to sell a cinema a new Christie film projector when their 1950's vintage Century projector is still running perfectly. You don't gain the trust of the customers with such tactics.
    Well I have to argue with that logic, you know the projector is working fine based on the quality of the image. You have no idea if a breaker is working right unless you test it. Without any testing saying a breaker is working is always an assumption.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central NC
    Posts
    1,545
    Don't think I've ever seen a FA in use. Remember a place I worked where the supply dpt had an old FA 2.5 A breaker. That was in 1976. Whs mgr there never disposed of stuff, actually kept it in order too, a rare thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •